battery light (idiot light) started staying on ??

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had battery light had been coming on and off randomlly for months, I tested the alternator and batteries and all were good. Then in Bowling Green this summer I noticed the gauge moving around alot. We decided that it was probibly a bad wire connection and nothing to worry about. SO before the camping trip in Michigan (almost 3 months later) I pulled off the small wire on the alternator and wiggled it around some when I put it back on. No lights or random gauge movement since.

royzell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday my battery light started coming on again. The alternator I changed in was from a parts truck, and untested. I had my old one bench tested at Canadian Tire - it was on it's way out. I bought a testing meter - I'm getting just over 14 volts lights off, just over 13.5 volts lights on ?? I haven't been able to get an amps reading off the alternator, can you ?
On a hunch (from other posts) I changed the voltage regulator with one from the parts truck (it looked newer and was less corroded). The battery light went out.
My in dash gauge comes up to the middle now, but draws down to the left periodically, and when lights etc are on. The old alternator I'm using may be starting to fail ?
I bought a rebuild kit from Lordco for 29.95. I'll try fixing one of my other alts for the time being. (how do you put it back together with the spring loaded brushes sticking out ?)
:-blah
Anyhow, all tips appreciated.

suv7734

Reaction score
I bought a rebuild kit from Lordco for 29.95. I'll try fixing one of my other alts for the time being. (how do you put it back together with the spring loaded brushes sticking out ?)
:-blah
Anyhow, all tips appreciated.

On the back of the alternator, just below the bearing, there is a small hole that lines up just below the top of the brushes.
Take a paper clip and straighten it out. push the innermost brush into the holder and push it down a bit. Take the paper clip and push it from the back into the alternator casing and over top of the brush you have your finger on. Let the brush go and the paper clip will hold it. Push the nest brush in and just push the paper clip in further to hold it as well.
Now assemble the alternator and make sure it's clocked correctly and just pull the paper clip out the back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online