Battery cables

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Hey all,
I see that f-two-fiddy had a post a while back where he'd put some batterycables.com cables on his 93. I figured instead of pm'ing him I'd post this so others could see the results in a search later. I assume that's custombatterycables.com as custombatterycables.com doesn't resolve.

I've read nothing but good things about this outfit and am going to order a set soon. My question is:
Is the stock set he lists on his site a perfect fit for all of our IDI diesels? I have a 93 like two-fiddy has so if he ordered straight off of the site they should work for me as well.

Thanks for any info,
Mike

dualexhaust

Reaction score
I ordered just the Positive cable last summer. Mine is a '94 F250 and they were a perfect fit for me. Just for fun cut your passenger side clamp open after your change your cables. My clamp was full of green powder corrosion, I don't know how the wire was even making contact.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
dual,
I figured I'd do that to both sides. The pass side is a bit discolored under the insulation so I know it's about gone. Held up for 14 years though, not bad, but I'm betting the new ones will last longer.

Thanks brownie. I wanted some confirmation(s) that his stockers would fit before I dropped the $150ish on the full set.

Mike

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Yep they fit great. The Positive lead to the Solinoid, and Neg's to block, are a fuzz longer. But it helps with the routing, seeing as it's thicker cable. Can't member the size, off hand.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yep they fit great. The Positive lead to the Solinoid, and Neg's to block, are a fuzz longer. But it helps with the routing, seeing as it's thicker cable. Can't member the size, off hand.

2/0

I have put three sets on from there and built the set on my truck using his parts, as I did some custom stuff. Great guy to deal with and the 2/0 is bigger than mine had on it, not sure what OEM was, but my cables looked OEM. At any rate, all three sets I put on from there fit nice. They are slightly longer, but that 2/0 cable is a little harder to make quick bends with, but it sure does seem to flow the "juice" well!!! :)

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
this winter before it got cold i put in two 1000cca batteries cables form custombatterycables and a mitsubitie gear reduction starter man that truck can start in anything now. one day i started it in 15* weather with no glow plugs and it fired right up.:thumbsup:

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got those this winter and they are great. It fixed my starting problems cause my old clamps wouldn't clamp. When installing the cables it's alittle akward and they seam to not fit quite right but you just gotta pull on em a bit to get them set correctly. The link is http://www.custombatterycables.com/

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I had not seen anyone post on any of the diesel sites I haunt that said anything about them not fitting, but I didn't want to eat $150 worth of cables if they did not. I'm definitely more comfortable ordering the stock set he's got on there now!

On a side note, did any of y'all sign up for the "grid" system that he offers a 10% discount for? I did, on my spare office machine. That's going to put my cost for the whole shebang, with covers for the positive terminals, down to just over $150 shipped.

$17 is $17, comes pretty close to buying a new fuel filter :)

Mike

oregon-mike

Reaction score
h20, those look like they're pretty close to the same specs as custombatterycables.com cables are....but...I can't see the connectors, not sure if they used the positive side size, not sure if he adhesive heat-shrunk the connectors and it's not clear if it's welding cable or the heavier duty stuff that custom offers.

It's also more $ than custombat...com by the time you add shipping to it (custom offers free shipping on $150, I'm going to replace all of my cables and it comes to over $150 for that).

If all I needed was the positive though, I'd probably be looking at the "buy it now" deal.

Thanks for the tip,
Mike

Runboy

Reaction score
Currently Antioch California - Soon heading to Cre
Cable Size

The stock hot side cable between the battery and starter is 3/0.
I had a new end put on that cable for a single battery hookup and then had a 3/0 ground cable made up for the pass side battery. I lost the driver battery and am running a single Odyssey 2150. This battery kicks butt. I was a bit hesitant at first but this thing starts soooo much crisper than the two kragen special Excides that where in the truck. And, no acid mess on top of all that.
Did have to modify the battery tray a bit to accept the group 31 size battery.
By the way, the single 2150 is no more than buying 2 piece of junk optima red tops. Purchased mine from west coast batteries - http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

Mike

rubberfish

Reaction score
no more than buying 2 piece of junk optima red tops.
I've had no trouble with mine, and I only use one 650cca
red top in my truck and it has never left me stranded.

Back on topic,:sorry: Those cables look top notch. :thumbsup:
I've heard nothing bad about them either. :)

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Well in 3 or 5 years when the new Costco batteries I put in there decide to give up the ghost I'll look into that group 31 battery runboy. Seems like a single would be much easier to deal with. The ones I just put in are 1000CCA and 1150 CA I think. $60 per battery. 100 month pro-rate, 36 on 100% replacement.

I've seen red/yellow/blue top Optimas...Don't think I could buy one for the cost of these two. I'll post back if/when they fail.

Rubberfish, that's pretty impressive starting to do that on a single 650!...but then again, I remember seeing a few Cummins trucks with single batteries so maybe that's your secret? :) I *really* wanted a Cummins when I bought this Ford, but, for the $10k I saved over buying a Dodge I can rebuild this old IDI a few times (well, probably swap the old 7.3 for a 6.9, or, perhaps, a Cummins swap....time will tell I guess).

Mike