Batteries.

Truckie

Reaction score
Its getting to be that time that I have to replace my batteries and I have been looking for a while. Iv been eyeing the Optima's but not sure if there really worth all the money? Also with them being smaller dose that pose a big problem?
I also needed to know what the CCA and CA for a battery that is marked as group 78.
What do you all think of the Wally World brand and the Die Hard from Sears?
Thanks for any and all info.

Mike

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
From what I have been told the optima's are the thing to have. They last longer and perform just a well. I have been told that you can get them at SAM's club for quite a discount so check them out. I know that when I was shopping batts a couple of weeks back Sams had prices that blew away the auto stores and Walmart I was not looking at optima's though because I don't plan on owning this truck long enough to get full use out of them. So a std lead acid battery will do me just fine.

Whit

Reaction score
I have a couple optima red tops in my 01 and wouldnt have anything but now, they are shorter and the studs for the top mount need to be shortened but that was it, no acid problem overflow is worth it

Attachments

• filter1.jpg
    filter1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 85

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Personally, I like the Delco batteries. I have less corrosion problems with them, than any other, bar none.

I like the concept of the Optima's. Mount them wherever, however you want to. No spilling, no muss, no fuss. i just can't get myself to let go of the $$, yet.

MnTom

Reaction score
Optima red tops were in mine when I bought it over 3 years ago. I have yet to touch the betteries and at times they do get a work out. I think they are great.
Tom

lschultz

Reaction score
Cistern,Tx-2.3 miles outs of ofs highway in Fayett
From what I have been told and read the Optimas are the best but I guess it depends on where you live,what you want and its your money. I guess I have been lucky I have not had any acid problems. My son just replaced the ones in his 99 had them for 5 1/2 years and no problems. He bought some Inerstate I think they were about 90 a piece.

Truckie

Reaction score
Pack Rat I know what ya mean about letting go of that money, that the problem IM haven. I got the originals in there now and there just getting ready to turn 5 years old, and no problem with them till now. The one on the driver side is starting to get a lot of corrosion and when its real cold out it think do I or do I not want to start this engine. I kinda like the Die Hard the Sears has. If I don't go that rout Il get the Optima's.

Mike

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I've never had any luck with Sears "Starts Hard" batteries.

Besides them, I've used Delco, Douglas/Federated, Continental, Interstate, CO-OP(Douglas, I think), and Delphi. I'd recommend Delco, Interstate, or Delphi, personally. Interstate was a good performer, but I was forever cleaning corrosion. Douglas worked o.k., too, but never as good as a comparable Delco.

At the shop, we run Champion(O.E. from Pete), Delco, and Delphi. Seems like all work well, but only if you stay with the 950CCA. The 760's just wouldn't hold up, or last very long.

MUDDY

Reaction score
well,,,,,,,not long ago i replaced my yr old stock batts for a couple red top optimas. expensive but i didnt want to worry bout corrosion in the future

swanee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever see any corrosion in the cables (not just on the terminals) using the Optimas?

Blue2002

Reaction score
Hey Muddy,

Where did you buy your Red Top Optima Batteries? Is there anywhere local that you recommend? Mine seem to be working okay but occasionally I notice the voltage drops down a bit lower than normal after a cold start (not the grid heaters cycling off and on).

George

Originally posted by MUDDY
well,,,,,,,not long ago i replaced my yr old stock batts for a couple red top optimas. expensive but i didnt want to worry bout corrosion in the future

MUDDY

Reaction score
george,
i got mine from scwabbs. supposed to be othr places cheaper ive heard

BigBadDodge

Reaction score
Optima red tops for me in the bumper with side terminals, and a load boss 205 amp HD Alternator :D

You must be registered for see images attach

BBD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online