Barn find update, and HHO generator

toby2tongues

Reaction score
thanks for the input for the relay, but i already finished using the vacuum relay...good to know though

as for the water, gunna stick with what the manufacturer says for the sake of testing

it is behind the radiator but inline with the fan shroud (sp)

i wish i could have put it behind the grill, but i just couldnt bring myself to start cutting on a 84 f250 with 12k original miles.

yes, the cell is below the filter and water tank, filter is a little above the tank..the cause of the difficulties in where to mount.

StevoAmigo1

Reaction score
thanks for the input for the relay, but i already finished using the vacuum relay...good to know though

as for the water, gunna stick with what the manufacturer says for the sake of testing

it is behind the radiator but inline with the fan shroud (sp)

i wish i could have put it behind the grill, but i just couldnt bring myself to start cutting on a 84 f250 with 12k original miles.

yes, the cell is below the filter and water tank, filter is a little above the tank..the cause of the difficulties in where to mount.

Hi mate you had any results yet? I was thinking of buying a kit aswell :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toby2tongues

Reaction score
Hi mate you had any results yet? I was thinking of buying a kit aswell :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry I have not updated this in a while...actually got laid off the week before thanksgiving, and have been working a lot of odd jobs, not really leaving time for oilburners ( I was an instrumentation and electrical superintendent for an oil and gas company, if there are any oil field workers out there...12 years as an automation/instrumentation guy, working on high pressure...>6000psi... oil/gas wells, I live in ohio, but can move anywhere, no family)

as for the project...I got it installed. I noticed that that throttle response was better, and the idle was smoother. zero change in mileage though.

but I got to thinking. with a mechanical fuel pump, wouldn't I need to turn down the injector pump...essentially returning the rig back to its old power level, and using less fuel?

when I inquired with the manufacturer about this, his response was yes. that with none-dynamically controlled fuel injection, the 6.9 is going to deliver a certain amount of fuel per RPM...so I can either have better power, or better mileage....but I trust you guys more than I trust him (although he seems like a good enough guy)

think I may just turn down the pump a 16th or a 1/4 turn and see what happens.

and just an fyi, the power improvement is not worth the purchase price of the kit.

any input will be appreciated.

also it may be a couple days for any results. I am having problems with the pulse width modulator. the manufacturer is helping me trouble shoot it. he says if we cant get it worked out pretty quick, he will just send me new parts....pretty good support ;Sweet

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Thanks for the update! I think you might be on the right track turning down the fuel a little bit. I read on the thread below that a 1% over-fueling can result in a 10% decrease in efficiency!

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/593483-using-glow-plugs-to-super-tune-the-engine.html

It is an interesting thread on using the glow plugs as thermocouples to get cylinder temps in almost real time. Warning the thread is 30 pages! I have a condensed text file version if anyone is interested. I ran with the suggestion of running standard style Bosch relays as my glow plug relays. It works great. I haven´t hooked up the millivolt gauge(s) yet tho, cuz my son has my truck....

You may want to play with the timing too and see what difference it makes. BTW, where is your timing set at now? Do you have an EGT gauge?

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use an oil pressure switch (not a gauge sender) to drive your relay.
And as far as I can put together all the differing info on the net,
2 LPM is good for up to 300 cu. in. engine. Ours probably needs
the 4 LPM as suggested.
With a PWM controller, you can drop it down to check operation.

I also would be very interested in your results.
I can see that they work, but I would like to know if it is really
worth the effort. Same with propane. One of the two is going in.