Banks Turbo questions

91flatbed

Reaction score
Are there any parts still available from banks for there idi turbo kits ? I trying to round up all my parts before i pull the truck in the garage and start the install. How much modification to the firewall will need to be done to get the up and down pipes in there? thanks for the help

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You need to give them a call. I live around 20 miles from them and they never had given me any reasons to post badly of the care I recieve from them. Several years ago their company told me as of Jan 1st they would not be supporting the idi community any longer. They would support anything you bought for 5 years from you purchase date from what they had on hand. Well they never did stop selling stuff on Jan 1st.....:dunno They sell the most complete kits on the market too. their business culture changes with the community. If it didn't they would soon be out of business. What makes them the income now is the electronic diesels and we are not a big money maker any longer. At one time we and the Chevy idi engines were their break and butter money makers... Things change.... Its just business...

91flatbed

Reaction score
Thanks. The few parts i`m looking for are things like the crankcase vent adapter, oil supply line to the turbo, oil pressure sending unit relocater. The vent adapter i could make no problem, and probably come up with a oil supply line, i`m just a little picky when it comes to looks on my truck. Do have another questions though. My oil drain back tube coming off the bottom of the turbo doesn`t look long enough to reach the valley pan, is this suposed to be a 2 piece setup or am i missing another part?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The oil drain back tube on my wastegated sidewinder is a one piece line. It has two bolts that holds it to the turbo and a valley pan grommet. To make sure the line seals well in the valley pan grommet I apply some RTV down low on the line. Then as I adjust it to fit the turbo I make sure its well covering the connection to the grommet. Its really not needed but its added insurnce that nothing leaks in or out.

91flatbed

Reaction score
the turbo setup that i bought was a used non wastegated unit, not sure if its the same as the wastegated or not. I pulled the cdr off the back of the intake and put the turbo mount on the back off the head, just to see where everything was gonna sit. The oil oil drain tube doesn`t even reach the tube coming up from the valley pan, likes about 3/4". I noticed you are running a 4" exhaust on your truck, is this a kit, or custom. Was hoping to find a 4" kit for mine after i survive the turbo install.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My 4 inch exhaust is a custom setup. No muffler... It was an impressive looking piece of 4 inch pipe sitting to the work bench in the muffler shop too. The guys were ablr to snake the intire length in without any cuts or wleds too. I have a special clamp on the down pipe to straight pipe. Now I can remove the down pipe without any issues like I had with the u bolt clamps Banks supplied.