Banks Sidewinders with homegrown intake setups???

Reaction score
The truck has a Sidewinder setup on it (although not wastegated). Whomever put it in didn't quite cut the stock intake pieces right. They cut the snorkel so short that you can't make everything line up and fit where it should, so I gave up and ripped it out. The box around the filter is still there, but now it's just sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

I was wondering if anyone had ever fabbed up something that either a) routes cool air up to the filter box or b) replaced everything up to the turbo. If b), what did you do about the CDR? I'm also fighting an annoying buzz caused from rubbing between the AC line, the filter box, and the CDR hose, so I was hoping to remedy that by moving a thing or two with a new intake. Realistically, though, I think I can fix it by wrapping the AC line with some pipe insulation (that foam stuff they sell at Home Depot with the slit down the side.

Mike

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what your inlet size is on the turbo but i used a piece of PVC with couplers from siliconeintakes.com iirc. They have had the parts for most if not all the trubo swaps i have done with 3" to 4" pvc for intakes.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That filter in the pic is a Donaldson which is one of the best you can get a cleanable one but there great I have one only around 25 dollars at napa. I believe Ron and a few others run the same one. Mine looks bigger than that one. But they suck more air in and keep the dirt and sand out all better than k&n and other of the same styles. Someone I believe had a write up on those filters I had read. Those and amoils were really good.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run amsoil on all my 6.5's and have no complaints. My dmax has a donaldson with ~30K on it in what i would consider an extreme environment and I only shop vac it out every oil change (I dont believe in blowing filters out), I will run it for either 100K or until it shows signs of restriction.

All my tractors on the farm have donaldson stamped on the air filter. One is from 02 and still does "ok" this is its last yr

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
homegrown cowl induction.
;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet

Attachments

• banks turbo.jpg
    banks turbo.jpg
    733.2 KB · Views: 165
Reaction score
Interesting. What does it hook to inside the cowl, though?

For now, I ordered a used stock snorkel from U-Haul eBay for cheap so I can take a shot at cutting it correctly.

Mike

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh.i had the irritating CDR to firewall rub too!
it's a bit pricey at around 45$ or so iirc.but it was worth it.i had accidentally ordered this and glad i didn't ever send it back,cus it was the perfect solution to getting the CDR out away from the firewall.without the need to get out the 3lb.;)
you can call banks and order it.as you can see,the part# is in the pic.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 176

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
homegrown cowl induction.
;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet

........is not as good as one might think. yes it is an upgrade over the stock intake tube, but it is still not the best way to go. when i switched from the factory intake tube to cowl air i noticed a nice improvement in throttle response. i recently decided to try running the ruck without the cowl tube, just grabbing warm engine bay air, and i ran much better. EGT's stayed the SAME. even with my leaking up-pipe boost came on noticeably faster and easier, an the butt dyno said the truck was faster off the line. yes you are defiantly pulling warm air from the engine bay, but you are getting MUCH MORE air than with the factory tube or the cowl tube. if i ever get around to building and intake i will dump my cowl tube near my filter, cut the factory scoop so it dumps on the filter and then run a ram air set up using the bumper cut outs.

So i am now on the side that says more warm air is better than less cold air.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Interesting. What does it hook to inside the cowl, though?

For now, I ordered a used stock snorkel from U-Haul eBay for cheap so I can take a shot at cutting it correctly.

Mike

i might have some pics of inside the cowl. looking back on it now i wish i had not drilled a 4 inch hole in the cowl.

Reaction score
oh.i had the irritating CDR to firewall rub too!
it's a bit pricey at around 45$ or so iirc.but it was worth it.i had accidentally ordered this and glad i didn't ever send it back,cus it was the perfect solution to getting the CDR out away from the firewall.without the need to get out the 3lb.;)
you can call banks and order it.as you can see,the part# is in the pic.

Oh, is THAT what is causing that annoying buzz I have at around 800 RPM? Do you have to cut or modify the hose for the CDR to make that work?

For now, I solved that buzz by wrapping the AC line that runs back there with some of the foam pipe insulation meant for home plumbing, held with good Ol zip ties. Took away the big buzz, but of course I picked up another one that's less loud but occurs at idle. Joy.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online