Backhoe tires...

abelows

John Deere driver
Reaction score

Hi,

I have a JD710B 2x4 that serves me very good.

Since i have owned it it is the first time i will have to change the tires.

In fact since the rubber isn't that bad (cuts,etc.) i was thinking i could use chains instead to compensate for the low traction i now have with my old tires.

Any advice on what i should do ?

Because at this size they dont come cheap...chains are probably not given either.

Thanks for any info !

Attachments

• IMG_2334-small.jpg
    IMG_2334-small.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 12

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever had the tires fluid filled? The extra weight makes a tremendous different with traction. In areas that never get below freezing, you can fill with plain water. In freezing areas, they fill with a non freezing mixture (something chloride).

If you can fill with plain water, you can buy a water adaptor and do it at home.

Make sure that you have inner tubes in your tires, I wouldn't think you'd have tubeless tires but I'm no equipment expert. Obviously in a tubeless tire the water would rust the rims away.

I'm thinking that manufactured tire chains of that size would be almost as much as new tires.

Whit

Reaction score
A good set of chains is about what a set of tires are. I think runnin round with the chains on would drive ya nuts.

Grin and bare it and get the new tires, dont get cheap with lighter duty either as you will pay yet again for that mistake

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever had the tires fluid filled? The extra weight makes a tremendous different with traction. In areas that never get below freezing, you can fill with plain water. In freezing areas, they fill with a non freezing mixture (something chloride).

If you can fill with plain water, you can buy a water adaptor and do it at home.

Make sure that you have inner tubes in your tires, I wouldn't think you'd have tubeless tires but I'm no equipment expert. Obviously in a tubeless tire the water would rust the rims away.

That's Calcium Cloride.....Highly corrosive nasty stuff and can give you bad chemical burns as well as kill all vegitation where you puncture a tire. Much better stuff out there now like Rim Guard http://www.rimguard.biz/ that is biodegradeable, non corrosive and you don't need tubes. Alot of people use RV antifreeze too.

As far as tires go...If this thing is your bread and butter you need to keep quality tires on it, it's a cost of doing business and sometimes you just gotta suck it up a little and bite the bullet

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
I deal with them on a regular basis and tire chains are way more headache than they are worth. If you buy chains make sure that you buy a set of chain pliers and plenty of repair links. DO NOT fluid fill the tires, if you think that they are bad now run them a few weeks filled and you will notice and extreme amount of wear and a notice in how much power it robs during roading and grading operations. Hope that saves you a headache.