Back in the saddle

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well as some of you know I'm back in the saddle again.

Deal was made last year at the IDI Rally in Michigan - See this why you should attend IDI Rallies you never know what you might bring home....

So anyhoo the deal was made for a Rust Free 1986 Project truck. well as it turns out it's a little more than a project truck - I drove it home from PA - to me a project truck doesn't run so I'm happy as a dog with a pork chop.

I will post pictures tonight - for those of you on my facebook just look there I posted them this morning. I thought about waiting but me just so happy....

For those of you that haven't been to the Agne's place as Darrin told me before I went TRUST YOUR GPS if it tells you to turn down a cow path turn down the cow path. Both Jill and I looked at the "road" it wanted us to go down and we both thought it was a driveway leading to a barn or something... Not so it was an actual lane back to another group of houses.

So we show up and park behind a CHEVY.... yes a CHEVY in Mel's Driveway... btw this was what he was driving for the day... his excuse.... it's his mom's.... Yeah OK right.... lol.... (Had to throw that out there Mel) :rotflmao

So we get there and she fires up after a little bit - air leak in the fuel system - nothing to complain about. We take off and she runs like a TOP! Shifts are firm and tight. We headed to the fuel station to fill up. Ran great the entire weekend. No leaks did have to top off the trans fluid but it seems that before I got there Mel did a check on the entire rig in prep for the drive home for me. He found that the rad was leaking. So in normal Mel fashion he took care of it. As Mel always does he goes over the top and put in not a stock rad - oh no.... He has a Alum Rad made for her -Drool :love::Thumbs Up

So we say our goodbyes to Mel at the fuel station and head off to a local tire shop in York, PA. Tires Plus - Had installed 6 new tires - Firestone Transforce HT so we should be good for a long time to come before needing new shoes. The tires that were on her were in great shape tread wise but you could see the cracks from age from yards away - no complaints there I like having the feeling of knowing I won't have to change a tire on the side of the road.

Saturday afternoon she left me sitting half in the parking lot to a Autozone next to the hotel - she wouldn't move under her own power - she was low on transfluid.... No leaks were seen on anything when at the tire shop and still no leaks seen to this point. Topped it off and no issues - made it all the way into the parking lot to pick up new wipers and an air freshner. She has been sitting for what we can figure at least 5 years - judging by the surface rust on the hood I would put that 5 year estimate as a little short - I'm thinking around 7-10 years. So the wipers needed it badly. Added washer fluid and wipers and WAALAA clean window....

Sunday morning check all fluids - all good - start the long drive home.... Figured take it EASY she has been sitting for a long long time.... So I figure max speed 55-60... so we hit the highway and I wind her up to 60mph on the dash - thought I was moving pretty good.... well then Jill calls me and asks me to slow down... She said she is doing 80 trying to keep up and the speed limit is only 55.... :eek: So much for taking it easy! So I slow down a bit... then I downloaded a Speedometer app for the phone and used that. Yep the speedo is off a bit LOL

Stopped every 50-70 miles and do a safety check - everything is as it should be - no leaks - no low fluids - both tanks work - the front tank sender isn't but that's alright just gives me an excuse to make sure the shower head is removed and replaced with fuel line. Which was on my list to do no matter what. common issue just take care of it before it's an issue type of thing.

Mel has ESP... We no more stopped for a safety check and bathroom break and Mel rings in before I even get out of the truck.... Then he calls again (ESP powers engaged) just as I walk in the apt and drop bags.... I'm telling the force is strong with him. He was calling to make sure that everything when good and it DID!!!! No issues on the way home - I had actually overfilled the trans a little when I topped it off at the autozone and this morning where I parked she puked a little out - so I assume the C6 has an overflow tube like the E4OD does. I had talked to Ron Saturday night and he said that by removing the rad and lines to the trans that it will lose around 2 quarts of fluid so that explains the low fluid level and she finally burped out the air pocket when we were driving around is what we figure. I did not let her cool down when I rolled in last night - I was too tired from the drive - 11 hours one way and I still had to drive another 4 to take the my kids home. So I was looking at just get in and get moving again. I should have let her cool down from the highway driving so I suspect that is my fault...

But she runs out GREAT!!!!!

She only has SURFACE RUST!!!!

and she is 27 years old and fires right up!!!!!

Am I stoked....

YES!!!!!!!!!

Big thanks goes out to MEL!!!

If Mel runs his business with even half the level of attention he put into this sale he will be the best diesel shop in the country. No doubt when I need fuel system parts this is where I'm going PERIOD. There is no reason to go anywhere else.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome deal... sounds like you have a truck that will run and make you happy for years to come... and good on you mel for making sure everything was good to go for that long trip

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NICE!

Travis, it's good to see you back in an IDI my friend. Can't wait to see it in a few months...........

But, picutures will have to do until then.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the great update Travis. So is it a crewcab just like in the past... Pics have to come up soon. So how did Mel come across a rust free rust belt rig.. Of did Darrin have something to do with this. No matter what I'm really happy to see you pushing the seat of an idi again. What are your needs and desires Traivs. Surely you know everyone wants to know..

gandalf

Reaction score
Good to see you back in a truck. Keep it running strong. Use the lessons from the original Enterprise, what to do and what NOT to do.

Looked all around your FB page, and didn't see pictures of the truck. I'll send a friend request. I think you must have it pretty restrictive.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Dang. I was hoping that truck was still available. Thinking of a project truck for me and my boy. Hope it does you well, Travis

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yes I have an ex-wife that is pretty prying and likes to use things posted for her benefit or what she thinks is her benefit - so far everything she has picked apart on it has back fired on her but I locked it down in order to just make life easier.

Back story to the truck is Mel had a C6 trans that needed a home but couldn't sell it for what ever reason so he looked for a truck to wrap the tranny in so that he could sell it. Well it didn't sell right away because it's a Standard cab and C6 neither one is quite desirable to the masses. The truck according to the title work is from Maryland then was retitled in Tenn then it got brought back to Md.... a guy in MD bought the truck out of Tenn and towed it home - but he didn't unhook the driveshaft so he burned up the trans. So it sat for a while, then he sold it to a guy as a project and that guy sat on it for a while then Mel came along. We figured up that it has been sitting idle for 5+ years but judging by the surface rust on the hood I would say that's an understatement. but I got a signed off Tenn title and will get her tags tomorrow or wednesday of this week and get her fully legal and on the road.

Already started work on the wiring today.

Replaced the fender mounted starter solenoid. gonna run new electrical for it this week. going to do a custom push button starter - That was one of the things I wanted to do to the E but never got around to it. I think a push button on the floor or dash like a tractor is cool as all get out. And figured why keep dreaming just do it.

Wired the head lights up to relay today - don't have a relay for the high beams yet but will pick one up later on in the week and get that portion done. I'm going to set that up so that when the brights are on both the high and low beams light up - double the fun type of thing.

I think I'm going to go with the bank of switches thing on the lower portion of the dash run everything that way. Manual this and manual that.... Should be quite impressive when I get done. Or at least to me it will be.... lol...

But trying to fit working on this and doing rally stuff is gonna be the big chore. Since the weather is breaking and July is fast approaching things are starting to gain steam for rally planning so who knows I might still be starting it via jumping the solenoid under hood come rally time. I'm not going to let rally stuff hang in the wind just because I want to complete some project on the truck because the truck runs at the moment the rally isn't..... But either way you all will see her with her coat of surface rust I'm pretty sure in July.... gonna try not to let that happen but it probably will.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Suck it up goat boy. I did 2 full body paint jobs while rally planning. :D

Of course I no long have to chuck 150mg Zantac's twice a day now either.

gandalf

Reaction score
I think Gary needs to follow your lead there ;Poke LOL :angel:

No, it's worse than that, Tim:eek: Gary needs to get a FB account first.;Poke Then he can start friending us all.;Sweet

Listen up, Gary. We know you can do it!! You have lots of time to figure out Facebook. You're retired, you have lots of time.;Really

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7