Axles and 4x4 Questions

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. A little more than I usually pay, but not too bad. There is a lot more involved, but usually price including all brackets and such are not far off just a d60 from an obs, or a truck with one.

I am looking into good wheel adapters to eliminate the need for a rear swap myself mostly for the lower cost and better parking brake of the drum setup, so the need to swap for wheel pattern consistency may not be much an issue

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I believe the ttb's are any worse than any other axle. Most of the problem with the ttb's are not the axles but the people that believe they are bad because people said they were. A ttb with good condition parts/alignment I would put money will wear tires as good as any solid axle for as long as a solid axle before needing attention again.
Perhaps if you don't change anything or load up the truck.

I aligned my tires for my truck empty but two guys going hunting with crap in the bed and pulling a trailer will definitely throw off the alignment on a TTB, so what, align it loaded? Then when its unloaded it will wear unevenly again. I will try to align the front again with new tires but I'm not hopeful.

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps if you don't change anything or load up the truck.

I aligned my tires for my truck empty but two guys going hunting with crap in the bed and pulling a trailer will definitely throw off the alignment on a TTB, so what, align it loaded? Then when its unloaded it will wear unevenly again. I will try to align the front again with new tires but I'm not hopeful.
I think they worked well for a half ton truck...not sure what ford was thinking

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If two guys hunting gear and a small trailer noses the truck high and wears your tires, I would check to see if something else is wrong. The specs (0.4ish if I recall to 1.1 ish) allow for full safe suspension travel and while maintaining proper tire wear. I again speak from experience that 2.5 inches of front lift doesn't exceed factory spec. So if you're higher than that going down the road with that load, I would look for weak springs, proper weight distribution, or maybe airbags if the load has to sit truck tail heavy. Plus if it's changing enough to wear tires, it would seem steering would certainly get light (have experience here as well). That one gets a little scary for me, but I know some folks like the adrenaline rush of driving with your tires off the ground every other bump.

Ive got pictures of a ttb loaded to near 40k gvw with no discernable to the eye camber change (what wears tires) if that's not loaded and still fully functional I dont know what is. We won't discuss the overloading issue haha...

Point being, there shouldn't be a scenario that the truck was designed to handle that causes tire wear if everything is going parts wise. So I'll stand by that they are only as bad as the maintenance people give them, like any other vehicle

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could very well be my problem then, I don't lose steering and I have plenty of suspension travel. Never replaced my springs, I know the front springs usually sit flat but guys here said that is normal... But I do feel every bump in the ground and the rancho shocks didn't seem to help, should of went bilstein.

Both front tires were worn before I rebuilt most of the front end (didn't do pivot bushing or springs), and even after they still eat the outside at least from what I saw on my 700 mile trip loaded down. Unloaded I hadn't noticed any new wear on the outer wheel

Also a 40k trailer weight doesn't mean much without knowing tongue weight

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.....Ive got pictures of a ttb loaded to near 40k gvw with no discernable to the eye camber change....

If that doesnt bed a 3/4 ton front end all kattywompus I am not sure what would....40 k on a ttb would be a we bit extreme......

What was the actual FRONT axle weight clocked in at?

CLEARLY YOU MUST BE TALKING A TRAILER AND TRUCK....which would technically be a CGVW not GVW...please elaborate more...

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Riotwarrior you are completely correct I misspoke and meant to say gcw. It was a fully loaded log hauling crane trailer. Extremely well-balanced, but even at 10% tongue weight, that's near capacity of most bumper pull hitches. I'll have to see if I can find the picture and post it up

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rhk, did you have it truly aligned (not just toe adjustment)? And how is the toe?either of those things can cause tire wear and are no-fault specifically of a ttb.

I know we've gone pretty far off topic from the original posters intent I just didn't want him to get a bad impression that the ttb was a faulty design. If he found a truck at a very decent price, it's a pretty viable option just like many others, and in fact if his truck is a 250 the only Factory original option. Which for some folks is a priority

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
my 88 has a d44 ttb. i have had 3000 lbs of scrap in the bed. still drives straight and tires still verticle. i rebuilt my front end last year with all new bushings and balljoints. stock springs still. put 50+ miles on a day of mixed city/highway with no irregular tire wear. if they are all correct and alighned right, there is nothing wrong with a ttb as stated above.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rhk, did you have it truly aligned (not just toe adjustment)? And how is the toe?either of those things can cause tire wear and are no-fault specifically of a ttb.

I know we've gone pretty far off topic from the original posters intent I just didn't want him to get a bad impression that the ttb was a faulty design. If he found a truck at a very decent price, it's a pretty viable option just like many others, and in fact if his truck is a 250 the only Factory original option. Which for some folks is a priority

My bad for throwing it off topic, sorry bout that.

My ttb was aligned, I installed those adjustable camber bushings . But the shop could have easily not known what they were doing too

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries from me, I chased the rabbit with you haha.

And on that note, very possible. It takes every bit of 4 hours to do it right, so most shops like to avoid doing it right.....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been quite a while, but that's how long it took me to find it. Sorry the viewpoint is not better, only one where the trailer outriggers are still up

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking into good wheel adapters to eliminate the need for a rear swap myself mostly for the lower cost and better parking brake of the drum setup, so the need to swap for wheel pattern consistency may not be much an issue

Does anyone know if the outers will swap between the superduty axles and the older Dana 60? I know outers on ford/gm/dodge all swapped to some extent back in the 80s.

I assume not (because if it could be done the off-road guys probably would) but I can't find it online anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online