Axles and 4x4 Questions

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
I tried searching, im sure its here somewhere but I struck out.

Im trying to find a 4x4 donor truck to do a swap in my truck. I don't do any real off-roading or towing. I just want it if I need it, because I find my self in some situations where it would be helpful. I also want to level my truck out, no big lift or anything.

Finding a dana 60 donor truck for a decent price within 200 miles is a pita and I been looking for a while. So I told myself Ill settle on a Dana 50 TTB, the swap would be easier and I find them everywhere for under $1500.

Now heres my questions, what trucks have the Dana 50? I know the diesel f250's have them but what about gasser f250's, would those work? Whats the difference or do they use the Dana 44? There is a f250 460 nearby 4x4 for $1,300, but I dont want a dana 44.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend the TTBs because they eat up tires... But I understand you have a hard time finding locally.

Tried ebay? I use to see dana 60s for under that price shipped. You will need the 60 that uses ball joints, not king pins, as far as I know. Needs to be ford, i dont recall if dodge or chevy dana 60s fit but IIRC the quality isnt as good either

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
They have the dana 60 but a donor truck would be easier for all the other parts since my truck is just 2wd.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have the dana 60 but a donor truck would be easier for all the other parts since my truck is just 2wd.

Gotcha, didn't catch that part of the topic. Couple of drive lines and over-under would be most of what you'd need otherwise... Food for thought. Would probably be easier with a donor if you can find one cheap

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
06 F350 SD axles may be a good way to go....coil sprung front end disc brakes....

I would do that....myzelf add a OBS hydroboost for brakes....then when you can locate a 4wd trams and tcase...u can keep truck 2wd w solid axle...build as $$$ permits...

JM7.3CW Eh!

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
06 F350 SD axles may be a good way to go....coil sprung front end disc brakes....

I would do that....myzelf add a OBS hydroboost for brakes....then when you can locate a 4wd trams and tcase...u can keep truck 2wd w solid axle...build as $$$ permits...

JM7.3CW Eh!
Now that's an option! Blown 6.0's are quite common around here...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can do it two ways....swap two axles....keep it 2wd...then add trans n tcase and respective drive shafts later..or

Acrue all parts...just remember you will need either a 4wd E4OD and tcase or locate a divorced np 205 transfer case....and do it all at once...

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
You can do it two ways....swap two axles....keep it 2wd...then add trans n tcase and respective drive shafts later..or

Acrue all parts...just remember you will need either a 4wd E4OD and tcase or locate a divorced np 205 transfer case....and do it all at once...

There is a really good deal on a 4x4 f250 with the 7.3 that has the ZF. It's about 3.5 hours from me, tires are shot and doesn't "run." For $1,300 its hard to pass up.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
99-04 axles are pretty cheap, and the d50 is a solid axle.

but im no expert, I have not done 8 2wd to 4 wd swaps.

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
the 99-04 axles will work, you will end up with the metric lug pattern and have to get creative with track bar, but it is doable.
the 05 up coil sprung axles are a damn close to bolt in once the holes are drilled. the track bar and steering links are the only fun parts.

it amazes me the price different on the same parts around the country. i sell the complete swap setups with rear axle for 800-1000 depending on condition of parts. any more than that and they just sit. i am picking up a 88 CCLB 7.3 5 speed 4x4 f350 in the next week or so. paid 500 bucks for it. after that i gotta pick up a 86 4x4 f350 6.9 4 speed that i will be parting out also.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus I can consistently pick up 06+ axles for less than $200 to my door. That's hard to beat even with needing new parts to do the swap.

Not that I believe the ttb's are any worse than any other axle. Most of the problem with the ttb's are not the axles but the people that believe they are bad because people said they were. A ttb with good condition parts/alignment I would put money will wear tires as good as any solid axle for as long as a solid axle before needing attention again. Have plenty of experience aligning/diagnosing/building to say this with certainty.

Dodge/Chevy axles are different enough on the housing side to not be worth looking for as a swap donor

By 92' all 4x4 ttb's were Dana 50. There were a few different options as far as brake styles and such, but all were 50's.on trucks prior to that the only way to know for sure was look at the truck. I've seen. Diesels and 350's with the 44.

Hope that answers your questions

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron