Axle fluid recommendations

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to this sight I just learned that I have the Sterling rear end with 4.10 gears and limited slip in the rear and a Dana 60 in the front.

What weight of gear oil should I put in? I know that I'll need to put an additive for the limited slip. Since the rear is limited slip is it safe to assume that the front is also? Will I be using the same weight for both the front and the rear? Right now I don't tow anything. I may get a small camping trailer next year but nothing heavy. Occasionally I'll do a dump run. Thanks.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
The front most likely will not have a LS unit in it. If it does...SWEET!!!! I run 75w-140 synthetic and forget about it for years!!! And AC delco LS additive. I don't have a 10.25 at the moment but I have had a few and that's the oil I run in all my axles

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
^^^^^^
This.
For oils I use Valvoline for motor oil to gear oil.
Synthetic is the what I run.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
With the Limited Slip in the rear make sure you use an oil that is made for diffs with a LS, if you are a fan boy of one type of oil brand vs another you can always add stuff into the oil for the limited slip

75w-140 is what Ford recommends now, I run Lucas 75w-140 because it was on sale when I went to buy oil.

For the front dana 60 it looks like you need 75w-90, that's according to internet searches I just looked up, but I doubt you will have a limited slip in the front, not unless some previous owner put one in, you can always jack it up and spin the tires to confirm if your not sure

EDIT: wow 2 posts by the time I posted lol

Also check out this thread about installing a new finned cover
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...talling-an-inexpensive-Finned-Rear-axle-cover

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For whatever reason I can't find the sticky on this. Knuckle head I guess.

I read somewhere that synthetic could cause leaks on the seals. Anyone ever have that problem?

I like that finned cover!

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone please post a link to the sticky on this. I must be a complete IDIot because I can't find it at all. Thanks.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I actually couldn't find it either.
Best option is amsoil, you don't need a additive with amsoil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726