Axle conversion Ideas?

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 84 truck has the 3:07 rear end gears and it will barely spin the tires in the gravel LOL It doesn't help that the C6 is so weak that you have to hit 1200 RPM before the truck starts moving. I can pick up a axle from a 96 F250 (5.8L) with 3:55 gears for $150. I am about to retire this truck from DD duty to be our farm only truck so no more highway running, but more towing. I like the easy service brake drums on the 95 axle but wonder wha you guys think. Any year better that others, what about ratio, and is the factory limited slip worth looking for? The truck has 285r 70 x 17 tires right now.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you're just putting around the farm, I would go lower than 3.55. And probably look for a lsd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.55's aren't toooo terrible but my farm truck will get 4.10's before too much longer now that it's not my DD.

The 95 is a "better" axle than the earlier sterling a because it has a loner pinion and yoke. Suppose to help with them coming loose and longer pinion life. IMO the sterling is a much better axle than the Dana rears

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the 3.55 gears with the C6

What Mpgs where you getting with the 3.07s?

When I had the worn out 6.9 (300,000 miles) with fresh injectors and pump I was getting 20+ on the Hwy (got 21 going to Pa twice) and 18.6 around the county. Now I have a fresh (40,000 mile) Jasper 7.3 that runs like a top and burns no oil or blow by and the best I get is 17 with 15+ around the county. Haven't figured it out yet but I think thr 7>3 is too far advanced?

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're just putting around the farm, I would go lower than 3.55. And probably look for a lsd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Are the factory Lsd any good or would a lunch box locker be stronger for field duty?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a d-70 HD under my 71, me and my dad (mostly my dad, but i helped!) put it in, in the early 80's due to a destroyed hub.

this dana has been all over the continental US. with zero issues with a cab over camper, and a boat behind it.
with 4.56's and a t-18, it makes that little 390 ci pull like the lill engine that could.
sure its max speed is 60 mph, wound out, and gets like 8 mpg, but its a work horse.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.55's aren't toooo terrible but my farm truck will get 4.10's before too much longer now that it's not my DD.

The 95 is a "better" axle than the earlier sterling a because it has a loner pinion and yoke. Suppose to help with them coming loose and longer pinion life. IMO the sterling is a much better axle than the Dana rears

Yeah I think 4:10 or 4:56 would be better for pulling the trailer around with the sloppy C6. I thought about a ZF5 conversion? or I found a 4x4 C6 with TC that would give me low range when needed and I could go with the 3:55 rear?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the farm, if you were going to manual swap it, I'd go for a 4 speed. They are reasonably cheap because people want over drive. They are tough and with that granny low, if you can't move it, you probably shouldn't. Low range is nice for the field though. We used to start the truck down a row of hay jump out and let it idle along by itself while we loaded it. It moves that slow... especially with 4.10's.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go for the 4.10 or 4.56, there good for pulling. welding the spider gears is a cheap way to get a locked rear end. I would keep the c6, there cheap to rebuild.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the farm, if you were going to manual swap it, I'd go for a 4 speed. They are reasonably cheap because people want over drive. They are tough and with that granny low, if you can't move it, you probably shouldn't..
Ain't no creeper gear behind a diesel unless you put it there yourself. Meaning most any 4-speed with a diesel bell will be a close-ratio T19, unless the owner combined said diesel bell with a wider-ratio gasser trans. Close ratio has 4:1 first gear, if you gonna pull heavy often with lots of stop and go you absolutely don't want that with 3.55 gears, maybe 4.10s will make it more manageable but overall it still sucks especially in 2wd version (no t-case for the low range).

Best bet would be a diesel bell (requires flywheel and clutch also), a gasser 4-speed (for the low first gear), a BW1356 t-case (for the slip yoke), and a '93-up rear axle (for the stronger pinion). For gears 3.55s work well with a NP435 or T18 transmission cause of their creeper 1st and reverse, truck also still remains very road-friendly up until 55 or so. Creeper gear with 4.10s in the axle will pull just about anything, or break the U-joints while trying :D

Wouldn't waste any money on a ZF5, in stock form that thing is horrible for a yard/farm truck - it's like a close-ratio 4-speed but now it has a useless reverse gear on top of the crappy first, so you'll be in low range in the t-case all the time, and if you don't even have a t-case well kinda sucks to be you. Some folks modify big-block ZFs to correct for the lousy diesel gearing, or you can swap the big-block gears into a diesel case, either way it's not cheap and really it's not worth it unless you actually have a need for OD top gear.

The lunchbox (aka lincoln?) Would do fine.
Lunchbox is the type where you pull the gears from inside your open diff and install the aftermarket locker in their place. Lincoln is an open diff that has been welded, for best results to both gear to gear and gear to case, last part can be tricky tho cause the case is cast so it doesn't MIG very well, stick is better.

I would go for the 4.10 or 4.56, there good for pulling. welding the spider gears is a cheap way to get a locked rear end. I would keep the c6, there cheap to rebuild.
Factory 4.56 axle are rare, his best bet for cheap axle will be a 4.10 axle. Which is more than fine if he drops in a creeper gear 4-speed or 4x4 or both. Agreed on welding the open diff, the factory LSD is not very grabby in these axles, and on soft terrain a welded diff won't wear the tires like it kinda does on pavement.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good points LCAM, and thanks for clearing up the locker confusion. The local Pic-N-Pull sells rears for 149.99 and they had several the other day. When I finally build enough rpm's to get moving on soft ground with the 3:07's I break traction, and with one wheel spinning and 1100Lbs of engine this truck proved worthless on the farm so it got DD duty for a few years. The engine runs so good (when I don't have air intrusion) I hate to get rid of it, have thought about making a 3/4 ton diesel Bronco with this engine though. :) Reality is that getting better traction and deeper gears is the best way to keep and utilize this truck for now.