awww what the hell///

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thermocouples are a discrete system and require no grounding. Two wires. Period.

That is true with the GOOD type-K thermocouples; but, I see a lot of that Autometer crap that also has to be somehow connected to HOT and GROUND; I never hear anything but trouble from that kind and from the way it reads, that is probably what he's got.

The only type of pyrometer I will buy is like you described, two wires to the "probe" and no need for anything else; like you said, the probe creates the current. ;Sweet

RedHotNRollin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put the ground right to that batterie and the gauge didnt come off 0 unless i had my foot in it for a long period of time... so i moved the probe back down about 1/2 and inch and now it stays around 400-800*. i was goin up a small hill in 5th and it was at 850 i took my eyes of it then looked back down 20 seconds later and it was at 1400... then 1600, pinning the needle. it went back down to 800 VERY slowly.

i dont know. i quit. everytime i do somethin to make the damn truck better it just gets worse:mad: :(

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put the ground right to that batterie and the gauge didnt come off 0 unless i had my foot in it for a long period of time... so i moved the probe back down about 1/2 and inch and now it stays around 400-800*. i was goin up a small hill in 5th and it was at 850 i took my eyes of it then looked back down 20 seconds later and it was at 1400... then 1600, pinning the needle. it went back down to 800 VERY slowly.

i dont know. i quit. everytime i do somethin to make the damn truck better it just gets worse:mad: :(

How many wires are on this gauge ??

On a normal pyrometer, there should be ONLY TWO dedicated wires, usually sheathed side-by-side in the same insulation, sort of like the old timey TV antenna wire; these two wires connect to the braided/sheathed cable that is on the thermo-couple/probe itself.

The only other wires on the gauge should be the light and have nothing to do whatsoever with the readings of the gauge; UNLESS, you have one of those :puke: electronic pyrometers, in which case I figure you have most likely rang it's death bell.

RedHotNRollin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only other wires that come off it are the ignition wire... a ground and the wire to dim the bulb. i believe there are 2 wires that go to the probe.

could this have anything to do with me hook the wires up to the fuse block?

RedHotNRollin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the autometer website my gauge is under FULL SWEEP ELECTRONIC... ******** it.... i bought this damn gauge cause i though it was gonna be good... and i love the look fo the NV gauges and i dont hacve the money for other gauges. Looks like im screwed again :cry:

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have all Autometer Gauges and they aren't that bad. And Yes the Autometer Pyrometer needs a 12v hookup as well as the uV extension wires from the TC.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
i dont know how hard your driving it but your sig say pump maxed out so you have to be getting way more fuel then you need.

i got my isspro from diesel manor.com for like 150shipped.

sounds like oyu could have a wiring issue though

sootman73

Reaction score
his autometer automatically resets everytime the gauge is supplied power via the ignition wire. i have phantom II gauges and had a problem with the wrong temp reading when i first wired it up.

redhot make sure the wire you are using is only on when ignition is on and when you are starting. make sure it powers off when you turn the ignition off. your gauge has an electric stepper motor(lifetime warranty by the way) it calibrates itself everytime you give it power. if the needle doesnt sweep across to 2000 and back to zero and then show a temp then you aren't wired up right. and you'll know when there is no power to the gauge when you shut off the ignition if the needle will not fall anymore.

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i see alot of guys putting there pyro in the manifold and yeah thats all fine and dandy but why not make it easy on yourself and put it in the down pipe it reads just as accurate and you can get the gauges from banks and know you have a quality gauge ...

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i see alot of guys putting there pyro in the manifold and yeah thats all fine and dandy but why not make it easy on yourself and put it in the down pipe it reads just as accurate and you can get the gauges from banks and know you have a quality gauge ...

Because you want to know piston tempuature, and the farther away you move it from them the lower the temp at that point, and you dont really know how hot your pistons are

RedHotNRollin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt turn the pump up yet... planned on doing it soon after the gauge. mine does do that it goes to the max (1600) then back, but it sits at zero for the first 10 min of driving then goes up to around 6 or 8 hundred. and it also freaks out sometimes and goes all over the place.

i had the red ignition wire hooked up to the instrument panel fuse and the dimmer wire hooked up to the radio fuse.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your pyrometer should provide a continuous reading of about 600 on a flat level road at 55MPH and not jump around. Sounds to me like you got one of those "fancy" meters that are only too complicated for their own good. If it is new, it should have a warranty and I would contact the manufacture and have them talk you through getting it replaced.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using a digital TC or an analog TC. If it is an analog TC it should read fine just holding it in your hand, though a digital/electronic may need clean power and a good ground ie. run power and ground off the bat. The only true accuracy test that you can do at home is test the temp of boiling water(212* at sea level)and put the probe in ice water and constantly stir the ice water(lots of ice) for the low side. For every 1000' above sea level the boiling point of water drops a few degrees but the ice water remains a constant 32*. If your TC will read these two temps then accurately then you can have a 99.9% confidence in the TC.

Wire it straight to the batt and see if it works, if it does then you know you have wiring/ground issues.

Last edited:

RedHotNRollin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the thing was brand new... sealed and taped, even had the autometer stickers. the thing is i bought it off ebay... i dont know where to go from here. im gonna try some more tomorrow.

how deep should i have the probe in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online