awww what the hell///

RedHotNRollin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got the pyro in, didnt do the pump yet.... it says when im at 45 or 50 in 5th gear just cruisin aroun im makin 1200-2000 egts.... it just pins the needle doin 50 or 55 in 5th pullina small hill..... what did i do wrong?

i got the probe on the 3rd cyl. back on the drivers side... almost dead center of the exhaust port... and the hole is drilled almost on the casting flash. its in the same spot i saw ina photo except on the 3rd exhaust port back instead of the 4th.

maybe the probes to deep?

sorry if this is all mixed up im a lil P Oed.

RedHotNRollin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought it off ebay. it looked brand new, still in the box with the tap on it. its an autometer NV. the needle is all over the place. ill be driving and it says 800 then ill give it a little juice and it spikes to 1600. no pictures... sorry.

starmilt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had them do this on my big trucks also peg shortly after turning lights on and bounce with the turn signal. It was always because it grounded against the metal bracket that holds the guage in, but always took a new guage to fix it, it never hurt the probe or the lead.

RedHotNRollin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have mine grouned on the support bracket under the dash?

when i start it it satys at 0 for a long time then slowly moves up.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Maybe run a ground and power wire directly to the battery and see what it does. (could run temp wires just to see)

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1200* I can believe. 2000* sounds bizarre. Thermocouples produce voltage according to temperature. They are simply two dissimilar metals at a junction that will produce a small amount of current that increases with temperature. A type "K" will produce 41uV (milli-volts) per degree Celcius. The junction is suspended and sheathed in a protective case, what you see as a little brass tube. If that tube is damaged it may short circuit the junction and introduce a third metal into the system, throwing off the calibration.
The Pyrometer Gauge is just a milli-volt meter calibrated to the corresponding TC probe.
The extension wires are matched to the TC both in terms of length ( and wire gauge) and wire composition. They must be connected properly and insulated from each other and surrounding objects. If you use wire for another type of TC, it will produce current at the junction will be read at temperature falsely by your gauge.
You can check the thermocouple with a good Volt-Ohmmeter. The range for a Type "K" TC is 200* to 2300* F. You can also hang the TC probe in your oven, like over the door (while your wife is sleeping) with just the stainless steel sheathing exposed to the heat and the gauge attached via the extension wires and see if the TC and Gauge read approximately what the oven is set at.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
These trucks tend to have crazy ground issues in the cab...maybe run a pair of wires to the battery and drive it, see what it does...I know I had issues with digital gauges and a good power supply and ground fixed it. My water temp gauge would drop off to 70 or so degrees F, then run back up to actual temperature...would be fine for a while, then do it again. Just a thought.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
and you seem to have the technical part of the thermo coupler figured out...I've see them have issues from insulation problems. I used to see parts (in the auto parts store) for appliances and sometimes in testing them, you'd get all kinds of weird readings.