Automatic V manual and gen 1 V gen 2

hillbilly deluxe

Reaction score
I am selling my 2 ford 6.9's and going to just 1 Cummins and here's my questions.

I have located 2 1st gen 4x4's that I am interested in.
The first is a 93 1 ton dually with a flatbed and a 5 speed with about 175,000 on the clock and a price of $6,500.00. It appears to be in decent condition for its age and for the fact that it is a work truck.

The second also is a 93. it's a 3/4 ton 4x4 with an automatic. It also has about 175,000 on the clock and a price of $6,500.00. I think this truck has spent most of it's life as a commuter rig and it also appears to be in good condition.

I live in Seattle and will be using this truck for mix work play and commuting in Seattle's lovely parking lots.

? which would you buy and why also is the pricing on these in the ball park or should I be offering these sellers a lower price.

Also would you wait till you found a 2nd gen generation in the same price range or are the first gen going to be a better choice.

Right now I have a 1986 flatbed F250 4x4 with a 6.9 turbo and a 1984 E350 Centurion dually with the 6.9 turbo. My f250 seems to lack the power that I wanted from a diesel and the centurion is a beast that has power to spare but is a tight nut in traffic. Ive had gm 6.2's and 6.5's so I figure I'll try out a dodge and see which one I like best.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. :rtfm

92cummins

Reaction score
thats a great question i think the ansewer lyies i you. i think it depends on what you wanna do with the truck. i have a 92 with a auto and am planing to put a stick in it. if you pplan on building any power the stick is better and with last much longer. my auto laster 220000. before needing a rebuild. i do think that the autos are much much faster. i like standers and thats the main reason for a swap. i would steer you more toward the stander.

moparmike91

Moparmike91
Reaction score
i have a 91 with an auto 518,,ive installed a low stall non- lock up convertor with stage 2 shift kit with the deeper 47/48 re oil pan,,and mopar just releassed new high performance and a heavy duty overhaul kit for them so thats my next step,,but depends what ure planning to use your truck for

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I'm partial to the 2nd gens because of the P pump and the looks of the truck lines.

I would for the money just get a manual - in the long run they will last longer. A dodge auto doesn't quite have the so good rep.... If you look at the ratings on the transmissions (autos) you will find that they are rated for 5 less foot pounds than the engine is rated at - that tells me it's almost a planned failure just waiting to happen. I could very well be wrong but something about the ratings scared me and then reading onthe net about guys toasting the tranny when they really started to pour the mods on...

Whit

Reaction score
city type driving an auto all the way......cut er and gun er baby

towing and work truck.manual all the way baby

like said above its all in yer driving conditions/style

hillbilly deluxe

Reaction score
While I got one But not the one that I thought Id end up with. I ended up with a 1984 E-350 Centurion conversion truck/van. The neat trick is that its got a CUMMINS Baby! :thumbsup: The old farmer that I got this rig off of got tired of blowing up 69's and so he dropped over $15,000 Upgrading to a first gen Cummins turbo. Its mated to built C-6 and a gearvenders overdrive Limited slip 411 and a Jake. The guy built this strange bird for hauling. Now I got a crew cab That can do just about anything I need to do but I will be looking at doing a 4X4 conversion on her. Any one got a E-350 4x4 pathfinder van rusting away in there field? :Thumbs Up
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726