Automatic trans

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was contemplating my next truck. I know: it's foolish, mine's just broke in at just short of 250K.

Over the last 5 years, I figured out a couple of things that I can't live without, and maybe even a few more that I don't really want or need. I am sure I'll take some abuse for this but here goes: I really want a 12v Cummins in a 2wd F350 or maybe even a Centurion C350. The fact of the matter is that I tow/haul way more than I go off road, and I don't need a transfer case or a driven front axle.

That being said, if I wanted to go with automatic trans behind a 12v Cummins, what's the best choice? I am not scared of the E4ODs as I think they can be built well, but I do think hate the fact that I'd need electronics to make it work. I mean what's the point of having a one wire diesel if I have to have an ECU for the trans? I also am not opposed to a C6 with a GV box, just seems a little overkill to get some reasonable freeway RPMs. I am a complete ignoramus when it comes stock transmissions behind a Cummins, so if there's a simple solution I'm overlooking, please save me from my ignorant self :eek:

Thanks for your input

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put the overdrive dodge trans in it, it can be built to last and first gens need no electronics.

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
you could buy a 1st of 2nd gen 12v auto and a simple aftermarket torque converter and valve body will make trans handle about anything within reason

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cummins will last forever, but dont expect the trans to hold up.

I like the idea of the allison tho.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put the overdrive dodge trans in it, it can be built to last and first gens need no electronics.

Thanks Russ. I am assuming the 47RH is the best non-electronic controlled Mopar, looks like a Torqueflight with an overdrive. Seems pretty beefy and simple, plus no adapters to buy ;Sweet