Auto hubs not matching

93IDIT

Reaction score
I have a five bolt auto hub on the passenger's side and a three bolt on the driver's side. It looks like the driver's side of my dana 50 was swapped with a newer part. I'm not sure the reason for the swap, but the bolt threads are clean on the leaf spring u bolts so I'm pretty sure the dealer I bought the truck from did the swap.

Which is the better design? Can I convert from one style to the other? I know most people switch to manual but that is not an option. This truck will not see much offroad driving, just some snow every winter.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
They're pretty much the same. Although, one style is easier to convert to manual hubs than the other. It will, in fact, be simple to convert to one or the other style hub. The internals are what the turn knob portion of the hub are bolted to. If they work just fine, why convert? For the sake of symmetry?

93IDIT

Reaction score
They're pretty much the same. Although, one style is easier to convert to manual hubs than the other. It will, in fact, be simple to convert to one or the other style hub. The internals are what the turn knob portion of the hub are bolted to. If they work just fine, why convert? For the sake of symmetry?

They seem to be working fine. I am a bit OCD when it comes to mismatched parts. I might be able to live with it though if swapping them is too difficult.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can help with your OCD issues. I have three 5 bolt hubs and one three bolt autolock hub assys. $60 and they are yours. that way you can change to whichever you desire when the mood strikes:D;Sweet

93IDIT

Reaction score
i can help with your OCD issues. I have three 5 bolt hubs and one three bolt autolock hub assys. $60 and they are yours. that way you can change to whichever you desire when the mood strikes:D;Sweet

If you have all the hardware, nuts and washers to change from one type to the other we just might have a deal. Maybe the spares will come in handy if these really are as unreliable as everyone says. :dunno

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience with auto hubs are just like everybody else's, they seem to work fine until you really need them and then they don't work anymore. Change them to a set of warn or mile marker premium hubs and don't worry about it any more

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 3 bolt hub assembly id have to make sure its all there but 20 bux and ill ship it to ya

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge140

Staff online