Authentic frost plug tool

HawkDavis

Reaction score
Anyone in the Des Moines area have a authentic frost plug tool I could rent for a few days. I have read all the post warning not to use anything but the right tool.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RWK's install tool is a very nice piece. if you own several IDI's it is worth it to have it!

the only other option is to hole saw the holes and use regular brass plugs.

gandalf

Reaction score
For those interested I have a design copy of the frost plug installation tool. Anyone sufficiently enterprising could have one made by a machine shop.

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those interested I have a design copy of the frost plug installation tool. Anyone sufficiently enterprising could have one made by a machine shop.
I would like a copy of it. If I should need to make one some day to fix some of my idi's. Thanks Rodney

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Looks like you have both removal and installion down to a science. Nice work.
I also agree with typ4 that the best plan is to NOT remove them in the first place.
It has been standard machine shop practice on American V8’s to pull the soft plugs while hot tanking the block. That is fine with steel cup plugs that rust out and are nearly foolproof to install. IDI’s have stainless steel plugs that are difficult to install and I don’t believe it is worth it if the originals are in good shape. More likely to cause a problem than solve one. Not removing them won’t affect getting the water jackets clean. And hot tanking won’t hurt the soft plugs.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
That being said kudos and a huge thanks to those that have got off their butt and acquired drawings, machined parts and taken time to post photos of properly installed plugs. Most of us have never seen them properly installed.

gandalf

Reaction score
Now that I'm back home I looked at the Freeze plug Tool file I have, and it's a single picture rather than a lengthy write-up. I just tried to post it here, but it is apparently too large, at 1.75Mb. Anyone who wants a copy please send me a PM with your email address.

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gandalf, I don't know much about using these computers, but I try. What do I need to do to get you a pm. Rodney

gandalf

Reaction score
Look to the left of the screen in this post, find my name. Left click on my name and you get a pop-up. Click on "Profile Page", then click on "start a conversation". Then start typing your message. It's not overly intuitive, is it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86