ATS Turbo original literature and instructions

JPM4

Reaction score
Sirs,
For your reading enjoyment. I dug out the original literature from 30 years ago to find where to connect a boost gauge. I thought you guys may like to see the original instructions and literature that came with it.
JM

Attachments

• Installation Diagram.jpg
    Installation Diagram.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Instructions 1.jpg
    Instructions 1.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Instructions 2.jpg
    Instructions 2.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Instructions 3.jpg
    Instructions 3.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Instructions 4.jpg
    Instructions 4.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 41

JPM4

Reaction score
Flyer that came with the Turbo kit

Attachments

• ATS Flyer 1.jpg
    ATS Flyer 1.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 28
  • ATS Flyer 2.jpg
    ATS Flyer 2.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 28
  • ATS Flyer 3.jpg
    ATS Flyer 3.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 28
  • ATS Flyer 4.jpg
    ATS Flyer 4.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 27

JPM4

Reaction score
ATS Turbo Talk

Attachments

• ATS Turbo Talk 1.jpg
    ATS Turbo Talk 1.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 18
  • ATS Turbo Talk 2.jpg
    ATS Turbo Talk 2.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 19
  • ATS Turbo Talk 3.jpg
    ATS Turbo Talk 3.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 16
  • ATS Turbo Talk 4.jpg
    ATS Turbo Talk 4.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 15
  • ATS Turbo Talk 5.jpg
    ATS Turbo Talk 5.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 15

JPM4

Reaction score
And Transmission letters. Back in the day, our ATS install had to wait until Ford made an updated Transmission computer. Also one last letter from ATS on install instructions.

Attachments

• Transmission Letters Ford1.jpg
    Transmission Letters Ford1.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Transmission Letters Ford2.jpg
    Transmission Letters Ford2.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Transmission Letters from ATS.jpg
    Transmission Letters from ATS.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 16
  • ATS supplemental instruction letter.jpg
    ATS supplemental instruction letter.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 16

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! But now that I read the final pages, it states that the ATS turbo system is not compatible with the E4OD. Was that fixed in 91? Something ain't right. I'm looking to buy a used setup and I have a E4OD. There has to be guys out there with a turbo'd auto.

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! But now that I read the final pages, it states that the ATS turbo system is not compatible with the E4OD. Was that fixed in 91? Something ain't right. I'm looking to buy a used setup and I have a E4OD. There has to be guys out there with a turbo'd auto.
I don't see how it could matter.

Edit: hey I bet that's why the turbo motor has a harmonic balancer and flywheel that are balanced differently, just guessing.

Last edited:

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I just seen this and I thought I read something a while ago about the trans burning up. Maybe the pcm was upgraded? All I know is I need the turbo, and then I read this. Kind of makes you think

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd guess, like when you drive a standard, you need to pull it out of OD manually when you're getting on it. So as not to run the EGTs up.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Due to the fact that the pictures show a 085, and the fact that JPM4 said that they had to wait until Ford made some transmission updates, I would guess that would be it. By the time that the E4OD came out, they were probably selling the 088's. One update could have been a different transmission dipstick tube so that it would clear the turbo.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Edit: hey I bet that's why the turbo motor has a harmonic balancer and flywheel that are balanced differently, just guessing.
Those were only on the Factory Turbo engines with different rods and pistons. Even the 093 (which is what the Factory Turbo is based off of) was used with N/A parts. By the time that people were commonly wanting to make enough power that the N/A rods won't hold up, the IDI was out of production.

JPM4

Reaction score
The original E4OD in 1989 shifted slow (my F350 is an '89 model), shifting was computer controlled. This slow shift caused "clutch friction heat damage and overheating of the fluid and converter causing more damage" according to the ATS letter on the transmission. I don't remember the exact year that it was fixed, but probably around 92 maybe? Coincidentally (or maybe not) our transmission did go out right at 60k miles in around 1995, and was replaced under warranty. There was no dealer pushback on the warranty claim since we did have the updated transmission computer installed.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That explains why it wasn't recommended to use a turbo then. A turbo would only make the shifting/heat problem worse.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That explains why it wasn't recommended to use a turbo then. A turbo would only make the shifting/heat problem worse.
That was my guess. You'd have power, boost, down and upshift, pressure here and there at all the wrong times. You'd have to drive your automatic like a standard shift, not just floor it up a hill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx

Members online