ats turbo on CL in Auburn CA

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't see if the cast iron up pipe is in there or not, but everything else seems to be there. The lack of a down pipe is not a deal breaker especially since you have the parts of the old one to use as a template to have a new one made. I paid 680 for this setup in 2006 and I thought that was fairly reasonable. Assume that it needs an overhaul and if not it's really a great deal. If so it's still good.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and here's a banks unit in Sac. okay, not as cheap but looks like it still might be a great deal if it comes with everything. although looks like up-pipe was cut. note: y-pipes and up-pipes are $$$ from banks(if they have stock). but if it can be welded up, should be a good setup.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/2217167023.html

tis the season for IDI turbos.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I wish sometimes I had a time machine, to go back and tell these people to NOT TORCH THE FREAKING UP/DOWN pipes.

I went and looked at a older banks turbo for my brown truck, guy wanted 500 for it with the pipes all chopped up. I told him no deal because those pipes are near impossible to get, he said "Oh, I wish I would have known that yesterday when I torched them off this truck"

:puke:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RRRR! What kind of a **** would take a plasma cutter to something as rare as an ATS collector pipe!!!!?? All he had to do was heat it up even slightly and it would have fallen out with some wiggling.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
RRRR! What kind of a **** would take a plasma cutter to something as rare as an ATS collector pipe!!!!?? All he had to do was heat it up even slightly and it would have fallen out with some wiggling.

Same reason why some remove the injection pump with the gear and cover still attached.... They don't stop to think what they are doing.... When they finally see what they have done its aww crap......:eek::angel:

busbart

Reaction score
Talking about Turbo's, For a 1989 F-350 7.3L iDI,

money/quality wise, which you think is the best aftermarket turbo supplier, Banks, or ATS?

i'm curious, cause i'd like to spend some money on a turbo for my rig!

Bart

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note: if they're torched on a straight section of the pipes, it's not too difficult to get a coupler to connect them. When I got my banks kit from a guy for$ 300 he had done all kinds of nasty sawzall/cut weld damage to the pipes to fit around his trans. Made the up/Y pipes garbage for my E40D. Still have them lying around if anyone local wants them for a manual trans setup(I think it will fit but no promises).