ATS downpipe fit

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I called the folks at ATS and the guy told me that they don't make a downpipe for the older non wastegated system anymore.
The downpipe for the new setup looks a lot like it, but longer.
Can a new style pipe be cut down to fit, or am I better off just taking to my buddy at the muffler shop and having him bend me up a pipe?

Thanks-----------Robert

SKimballC

Reaction score
That's retarded. They may not want to sell the downpipe seperate but its the one that's in their 3" exhaust system. That's what's on my truck and it fits your turbo(not mine anymore) AND the factory turbo with the upgraded exhaust housing.
I don't know who you talked to but they got some real ******** working there. I suggest you call back and ask to speak to Jacob. He knows what he's talking about. If you can get the downpipe that I have you'll be straight.
There may be something to the different lengths. The DP doesn't go up into the newer turbo as far as it did on the old one, but we're only talking like a 1" difference.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I think you hit the nail on the head. I bet the guy I got on the phone is probably on his second week there. He had to put me on hold for 5 minutes to come back with that answer. Sheesh, they don't make that many different products,how hard can it be to keep up with them cookoo
I'll call back on Monday and see if Jacob can get the thing for me. They do list the downpipe for their system seperately for about $70 ( $84 with the mounting hardware...whatever that might be )
When I compare the installation diagrams from mine and the new style turbos, the only difference appears to be that the new pipe is a little longer. That could be cured in about 3 seconds with a chop saw :D

Thanks--------Robert

SKimballC

Reaction score
Yeah, its gotta work. Jacob told me the 3" exhaust would work for both systems and its pretty dang close. Both turbos exit at either the same angle or at least close enough for the pipe to still work and not interfere with anything. The hanger on the frame still works too. I did push the pipe in too far and it rubbed at the firewall, which I probably wouldn't have been able to do if it had that extra inch or whatever on it.
Buy it. Chop it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
newflash guys......
the technical dept at ATS is about as worthless as **** on a boarhog when it comes to information on our IDI's. if it doesn't concern the wastegated model and the info isn't on the PDF diagram, they're hopelessly lost.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
newflash guys......
the technical dept at ATS is about as worthless as **** on a boarhog when it comes to information on our IDI's. if it doesn't concern the wastegated model and the info isn't on the PDF diagram, they're hopelessly lost.

Great, I need to buy a downpipe and a crossover pipe before I install my turbo. Hope I can find these pieces.
John

SKimballC

Reaction score
newflash guys......
the technical dept at ATS is about as worthless as **** on a boarhog

That's what I've been saying, but I really don't know why I still suggested you call to talk to that one guy who knows something. cookoo
Just order it and I can tell you it will work. As established it may need trimming. Here's a dealer closer to our neck of the woods if you are in a hurry.
http://www.jhdiesel.com/atspricing.htm

And John, the crossover pipe is the same for both turbos. The one that Ford still sells for the factory turbos is the same too.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That's what I've been saying, but I really don't know why I still suggested you call to talk to that one guy who knows something. cookoo
Just order it and I can tell you it will work. As established it may need trimming. Here's a dealer closer to our neck of the woods if you are in a hurry.
http://www.jhdiesel.com/atspricing.htm

And John, the crossover pipe is the same for both turbos. The one that Ford still sells for the factory turbos is the same too.

Thanks for the link. They're about $5 cheaper on that thing and I'll bet a few bucks less on the shipping too. Greenville should be a next day delivery. That won't break my heart ;Sweet

Thanks--------Robert

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the phone they're worthless, that's for sure. I've been there several times in person, and have had good luck. It's all in who you talk to, and when you catch them.

It is true that they no longer support the non-wastegated Turbo, however many of the seals and individual components are the same. It is up to us to determine parts interchangeability at this point though. I make it a point to stop by every time I'm in Denver, and talk to them just to let them know that we're still out here, and still depending on their stuff to make our trucks run decently.

It's a fact of life though, that as trucks age that aftermarket support for them dwindles. It's just way more profitable for a business to support the newer trucks...

Ryan

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the PDF for both the Wg and nonWg turbos stateside. I'm going to need some local help in posting the stuff when I get back.

deadeyeb

Reaction score
I was wondering if you could get some help from garret turbo since that is the turbo used in this system.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question. Garret, from what I know manufactures most automotive and diesel turbos and the companies like Hypermax and ATS just design the system and specify how they want the turbo to be built.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.