ATS Downpipe and elbow problem

1994IDI

Reaction score
I'm getting desperate. I mentioned in a post a couple weeks ago about the slip fit application on my ATS downpipe and turbo elbow not staying together. 6nebraska had some info that helped but didn't cure the problem. This set up is junk, but I don't want to shell out for another.
I talked to ATS tech, and he had me go out and take measurements from the bracket that comes on the downpipe, to a bellhousing bolt, so he could make a new one that would make up the difference in space and I could bolt them together. Two weeks later, I got an exact replica of the bracket that was on the f#$&-ing downpipe to begin with. All he did was take a bracket that I already have, and sent me a duplicate!
Has anyone found a suitable way to make this kit stay together in one piece?
Thanks for any help.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I had to fabricate a mount from some bar stock. The one that came with the downpipe that they sold me didn't match up to squat, and after having waited over a month and a half for the dang thing in the first place and being continually lied to the whole time, I for dang sure wasn't going back to those yo-yos for anything.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said... Measure your center to center hole distance and cut a piece of Flat Bar about 2" longer. I used 5/16" x 1" flat bar about 5" long. The bar has to fit between the Exhaust Manifold and the "y" pipe, 1/4" would be fine, 3/8" might be thick. Drill a 7/16" hole about 1/2" from one end and radius that inside corner end so it will fit over the EM stud and point in the direction of the tab on the pipe. Get out the 12" Crescents and the torch and maybe the Vise and put a 90* twist in the bar. It will take a couple of "fittings" to get the bend(s) just right but when it matches the DP tab, Vise-Grip it in position where you want the DP to be and mark the location for the 5/16" hole using the hole in the tab as a guide. Drill it and bolt it up. Set the one from ATS outside and watch it rust. That's what I did...

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Use some plumbers tape to make a mock up of the bracket. Then get a stronger piece of metal to make it.

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats why i bought the Banks kit b/c a buddy of mine has the same problem with his ats kit and he sold it to some sucker and bought a Banks kit and have no problems ....Why work harder ,,, work smarter

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats why i bought the Banks kit b/c a buddy of mine has the same problem with his ats kit and he sold it to some sucker and bought a Banks kit and have no problems ....Why work harder ,,, work smarter

Bingo. I would never buy an ATS kit as long as a superior product and a much more complete kit is available like the Banks. No slip joints or poorly designed outlets. Bolt it up and go.

Now if you pieced a kit together or got a really good deal I could see owning the ATS system. Gotta work with what you got I guess.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mime is bolted to the exhaust manifold but there's another piece that is bolted to the manifold first and then to the downpipe.
i can try to take a pic later.
hope this helps.

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like that?

You must be registered for see images attach

1994IDI

Reaction score
Ouch.. I guess that puts me in the sucker category haha thanks logroller..

I like cackler's idea, and had thought of some similar fabs, but I don't have the space for a vise or torch or tools of that nature, therefore I don't have them. And the bracket on my downpipe won't reach the bellhousing bolts or the manifold bolts. I guess that means I may be stuck paying someone to make something for me.
Towcat, it would be nice if you could post a pic, but don't go out of your way.. I can't see Spencer's pic's right now as I am at work and they won't come up. Thanks though.

I bought the ATS kit because I was new to the IDI's, and was unaware of the slip fit problem. At the time I bought the kit, as far as I know, the Bank's kit was no longer being manufactured, so ATS was the only company making them. If anyone has a Banks kit for sale, I would gladly buy a used set from a fellow OB member.

Thanks for the replies guys.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I like cackler's idea, and had thought of some similar fabs, but I don't have the space for a vise or torch or tools of that nature, therefore I don't have them. And the bracket on my downpipe won't reach the bellhousing bolts or the manifold bolts. I guess that means I may be stuck paying someone to make something for me.
Towcat, it would be nice if you could post a pic, but don't go out of your way.. I can't see Spencer's pic's right now as I am at work and they won't come up. Thanks though.

I bought the ATS kit because I was new to the IDI's, and was unaware of the slip fit problem. At the time I bought the kit, as far as I know, the Bank's kit was no longer being manufactured, so ATS was the only company making them. If anyone has a Banks kit for sale, I would gladly buy a used set from a fellow OB member.

They (Banks) seized production BUT there are still loads of brand new kits out there and they still offer parts of course.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

before you buy into a Banks, you might want to check the postings for the nightmare you will go through when the turbo needs rebuilding. I am one who is not blinded by the Banks marketing machine. ATS can be a bear to assemble, but in the long run once you have everything figured out, it's a much user friendly system.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Even though all I want is the elbow and downpipe? I am still running the factory turbo.

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
If you are running the factory turbo make your own DP. Do you still have the factory DP?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

Hypermax still makes new turbo kits for these things, their customer service is great, and they are the only company out there still developing performance products for our engines ;Sweet
If I had it to do over, I would put a Hypermax in and never have to see this ATS nightmare again.