ATS 093 Turbo and Water to Air IC

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a bummer to do so much work and then ditch it. Do you have any experience with the 4Bs? It just doesn't seem like that's gonna be enough engine if you plan to tow your trail rig and such. My 6B is turned up a bit and runs pretty good, but I couldn't imagine my camper and trail rig latched on and hitting the Sierras, and your truck is easily 1k lbs heavier than mine empty.
Travis..
Well I didnt lose too much time or money working on the engine or turbo, I did do a lot of work with the clutch and tranny but I'll be keeping the tranny but getting another clutch. I should break even on the swap after selling my parts I have now. I'm getting a really really really good deal on the 4bt. I think we can make it run like a ***** ape, I dont have any experience with the 4 but I'm always ready to learn.

Wait, what happened? Why are you giving up on it?
Depending on what you want for the flywheel/clutch kit my brother may be interested. He's already got a line on a Valeo DMF flywheel/clutch kit though so let us know quick.
Sean

Its just not worth my time and I cant see spending so much coin on an engine that will never make 400ft lbs at the rear wheels.

I have close to 700 in the clutch and smf so I'll sell it for 600. It only has 200 miles on it.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that you are getting a good deal on a 4b but for the same amount of work you could put a 6b in there and have twice the potential, and probably close to the same mpgs due to the weight of your truck. I know the 4b is a popular bread truck engine, and I am not sure what they weigh, but the neighbor down the road who works for rainbow or one of those bread companies told me that the bread truck would get you there but not in a hurry. I asked him because I was curious one day when a 4b came up cheap locally and I was contemplating a swap. Maybe with some tweeking and and more boost it could run decent, but I am still not sure it would run very good with a heavy load.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not too bad at 217hp and 553 tq, but it says it's maxed out there where a 6bt would not even be stressing yet. I am sure you could get even more out of it with some more expensive work.

I am not going to try and bring you down on your swap, I think it would be awesome if you get the 4bt in there make that kind of power and hopefully when you were just cruising around you could see some high 20's for mpgs or maybe even 30's but I guess it all depends on what you are going for.

Good luck in your swap, and the 5 speed should last a lot longer behind the 4bt than it would if you maxed out a 6bt.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well its been fun guys (sarcasm) but I'm done with this engine, not worth the money or hassle.

I'm picking up a 3.9 Cummins 4bt (125hp, 375ftlbs stock) to swap into my truck. I'm going to turn it up slightly while running my water to air intercooler and push out around 4-450ft lbs.

So if any of you guys want the turbo set up or the brand new SMF and Luk clutch hit me up for parts...actually anything that is IH including the 7.3.

Tyler

Ooo... this is ending very badly. :eek: Reading back through the thread, all I see is a bad water pump and an oil presure gauge problem. I WAS going to mention that you appear to be missing one of your boost clamps in the picture, but considering your current mental state I see no need to throw that into the mix. So we don't even get to find out what your EGT numbers are like? What happens now? The next guy who wants to do water/air IC has to start from scratch because you gave up? Are you earning a spot in the hall of shame or hall of fame? ;Really Your like rembrandt tearing up a painting when it's only 5 minutes away from being finished. :dunno

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not too bad at 217hp and 553 tq, but it says it's maxed out there where a 6bt would not even be stressing yet. I am sure you could get even more out of it with some more expensive work.

I am not going to try and bring you down on your swap, I think it would be awesome if you get the 4bt in there make that kind of power and hopefully when you were just cruising around you could see some high 20's for mpgs or maybe even 30's but I guess it all depends on what you are going for.

Good luck in your swap, and the 5 speed should last a lot longer behind the 4bt than it would if you maxed out a 6bt.

I wouldnt exactly call it stressing, but still 500 ft lbs at the rear wheel would be running circles around any idi here unless its a full 20k dollar race only engine. But you are right that the ZF should last longer if I take care of it, I eventually want to put a brand new ZF 6 in it.

Ooo... this is ending very badly. :eek: Reading back through the thread, all I see is a bad water pump and an oil presure gauge problem. I WAS going to mention that you appear to be missing one of your boost clamps in the picture, but considering your current mental state I see no need to throw that into the mix. So we don't even get to find out what your EGT numbers are like? What happens now? The next guy who wants to do water/air IC has to start from scratch because you gave up? Are you earning a spot in the hall of shame or hall of fame? ;Really Your like rembrandt tearing up a painting when it's only 5 minutes away from being finished. :dunno

Boost clamp was missing because when I took the pics I was reassembling the setup.

The engine is still in the truck and running, I still have to go pick up the 4bt with it LOL I just drilled out and installed the temp probe (thermocouple). Once I finish up my 3 gauge pillar I'll wire up the gauge and go test it out. The numbers will be based off of the pump being turned up 1 to maybe 1.5 flats, I was planning on turning it up to 3 flats but its a lot of work taking everything off the top of the engine to get to the pump, so that's probably not going to happen.

Idk why it matters if someone else has to go and do their own work, that's life' this aint no obama handout build thread'
Rembrandt made masterpieces, I'm stopping my polishing of a **** with a shiny turbo system.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nevermind Mel.
he's the IH IDI's biggest champion and sometimes he gets a little carried away. You gotta go where you feel is right for you. Don't worry, we'll still leave the light on for you;Sweet Once you're part of the brotherhood here, you're a lifer.:D

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in shock! I have never seen this thread before. I started reading it from page one about twenty minutes ago and was all into that neat intercooler and then BAM, the damn things got a Cummins sittin in it!cookoo

I only wish I had that kind of time and money.:dunno

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in shock! I have never seen this thread before. I started reading it from page one about twenty minutes ago and was all into that neat intercooler and then BAM, the damn things got a Cummins sittin in it!cookoo

I only wish I had that kind of time and money.:dunno

Surprisingly not much time or money. I'll only be in about

This is where I'm at as of now

Price break down is slightly skewed because I got such kickass deals...

2001 24v 100k miles, turbo, piping, rad, I/C, wiring, computers, mounts, hydroboost $1650.00
2001+ NV5600(25k miles) & BW 4401 t-case, SBC Con OFE setup $3000 shipped
Probably about $200 in metal when I'm finished (minus metal for traction links)
$45 under dash fuse block, dash wiring harness, and tranny harness (reverse lights)
$40 Dodge Ram gauge cluster
Airdog, draw straws, and SBC slave I cant comment on because I got special deals from Vendors on D.B.

We'll just say I'm around 6 grand right now, Still need to regear the rear axle since it dropped the pinion nut and took out the R&P $200, get the tubes welded (for the one sided traction arm) $prob included in the R&P price, get a new steering box $150, buy some more tubing to brace the frame and finish plating the front end up and build a bumper $200, and whip a driveshaft up $free-200. Then however much a small setup to fiberglass the dash for the Dodge Ram gauge cluster and its ready to go.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well thats some major coin for a cummins swap. But it sounds like its around the average price for one.

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thats some major coin for a cummins swap. But it sounds like its around the average price for one.

Actually VERY cheap compared to normal. Everything is low mileage. That engine could have gone for 2k more minimum for what was included with it. And the NV5600 was a straight steal because its rebuilt and comes with a South Bend Con OFE clutch.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good, glad to see you gave up on the idea of the 4BT, I think you'd have hated it as much as the IDI. I can't believe you get away with doing all of that work in your driveway and street without the neighbors or city down your neck.
Travis..

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha. Actually someone finally did report me after 13 months from the day I started building my Dodge truggy. I got a month's worth of extensions and got it towed last weekend. It's now out of town at my boss's house, but the Fummins is in the driveway and looks like a normal truck so I'll keep working on it as I please.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online