Atf to clean?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, atf is not a detergent by any means. It is a dispersant.
I remember talking to Mel about this year’s ago, and he mentioned that atf is really ******* the o-rings in an injection pump and damn near dissolves them if used all the time. Actually makes sense now, because I burned watf in my 6.9 idi for about a year, and it junked my Ip. He recommended things like stanadyne or power service if your going to use an additive.
Personally, I use marvel mystery oil. Now that’s a good detergent right there ;Sweet. Use that stuff in all my vehicles...minus the 6.7 psd.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hydro, according to the study I linked to earlier, the marvel mystery oil actually increases injector wear.

Yeah I saw that study years ago. Personally, I call bs on it. That’s just my opinion tho. I’ve seen before and after engines with mmo in it, and the difference is amazing including my own. Not endorsing it by any means, just my personal experience with it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the hotshots bottle, it is for regular use, and according to google atf has detergents and dispersants? Sounds like they both do the same thing. I use mmo in my oil and hotshots in my fuel
You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Every tank of fuel I fill up in goes some Stanadyne Proformance formula. Between 4 to 6 ozs and I DO FEEL the difference if its not every tank. I'm sensitive...

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The amount of disersants in ATF is very small. Any motor oil even "SN" gasser oils will have much more dispersants and detergents thaN atf has. Maybe filling the filter with new engine oil would be even better?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't find it now, but a long time (10-20?) years ago I read an paper from Mercedes in which the factory engineers had actually run a prospective trial of ATF for injector and chamber deposits in their diesels... and they found that the crud was worse in the engines that used ATF!
Those were all prechamber mechanical diesels, too. If I can locate the article I'll post it.

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would seem to me that ATF is engineered to be used in automatic transmission. The engine cleaning and lubricants additive are engineered for engines. IMHO.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't find it now, but a long time (10-20?) years ago I read an paper from Mercedes in which the factory engineers had actually run a prospective trial of ATF for injector and chamber deposits in their diesels... and they found that the crud was worse in the engines that used ATF!
Those were all prechamber mechanical diesels, too. If I can locate the article I'll post it.
ATF is full of stuff that makes ash deposits. it will combust but its not designed to be burned in an engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker