at risk of sounding like a total goofball...

motorbreath53

lucky sob....
Reaction score
I keep reading comments on using 4-low to back heavy trailer loads up hills...

I've never tried it with my ZF5 turbo IDI truck... but i've been thinking.

I've got manual hubs, and would have to get out of the truck to lock them....

Are you guys locking your front hubs when backing like this? If 4wd is not necessary (but the low gearing is desired), and the hubs are left unlocked, will it hurt anything to back 100yards with a heavy trailer?

I think it'd be fine... but, before I hurt my already clunking truck... anybody know different?

Thanks in advance for dealing with a cookoo kinda question.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
No need to lock hubs, just leave them be. won't hurt a thing. Actually good for your front diff to pop it into 4wd once ina while to move the oil around.

Bjober

Reaction score
I do it. Won't hurt. It spares your clutch and makes it easy to move your trailer. I do it on flat ground.

zpd307

Reaction score
that is a good question. i had wondered the same thing when this came up a while back.....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like stated above, if you need 4x4 they by all means, lock in the hubs. If not, you just want a lower ratio to aid in backing the trailer as the reverse gear seems to be a bit too high on these IDI's (ZF5 or T19).

Heath

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I do it as well when moving HEAVY stuff around. I have 4.10's though and never seemed that reverse was too high, but it's nice to be able to crawl too!

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I do it all the time. No need to lock the hubs if all you need is lower gearing. Remember not to lock the hubs on pavement, you can cause damage that way.
Travis..

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I freaking love gear reduction for moving loads.. almost seems pointless to buy a 2x4, after you play with your t-case moving loads around.

Even if you never use 4x4 recreationally, just having the gear reduction for load moving is enough justification to buy a 4x4.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, had a teacher that had an early 1980s F150 4x4 and he did that to back up. Silly thing had a high axle ratio for fuel economy....so was worthless for backing "slow" w/out cluching all the time.

That's the nice thing of having a "manual" T case. Those push button jobs... you get low, but you'd be in 4x4 mode....

motorbreath53

lucky sob....
Reaction score
Right On! Thanks guys... I'll be re-parking my trailer after playing "musical cars" on the sideyard later this week.... and i'll be sure to try it out.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I freaking love gear reduction for moving loads.. almost seems pointless to buy a 2x4, after you play with your t-case moving loads around.

Even if you never use 4x4 recreationally, just having the gear reduction for load moving is enough justification to buy a 4x4.

I still like the extra 2-3 MPG a 2X4 offers over 4X4

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
yeah it works like a charm. I just backed my 25ft gooseneck in the yard with 2 jeeps on it and it make things lots easyer. I even use it to get around and out to the pavement so im not as ******* the trans.