Assessing a 6.9 out of vehicle

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this evening I am looking for your opinion and advice on what to look for on a 6.9 for sale. Engine only..

Found a feller with a 6.9 and turbo..
Banks sidewinder
Motor has arp studs (how would I check)
Clutch+ flywheel
$500

Going to see it Monday, could be a motor to swap in eventually or just pick apart as needed.

What would you look for in this situation?
Grateful for any advice on assessing the condition of engine or turbo or any questions to ask the owner.

Thanks!

Included a photo from ad

You must be registered for see images attach

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Added

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t appear to be studded, and if it’s a 6.9 it has the older less desirable rocker arms too. Just remember, if the poster is telling you it’s studded, and it’s not, consider all the things you can’t see until you get the heads and oil pan off. If you need/want the turbo I guess it’s a fair price but it doesn’t look very complete or turnkey to me.

If it’s local/convenient, you could go look at it and offer him core value.

Good luck to you whichever way you go.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I'm in it for the cheap turbo kit...500 and local is rare for this area. Last one I found was 6 mos ago in OR for 800

@lotzagoodstuff Appreciate the info on the rocker arms!
Mine is an 85, wonder if I have the same kind?

@Laine D Same thought here, it's an abandoned project. What is core value?

Arp studs 279$ value..if they're not installed that's ok and probably better.
Spare IP is nice.
Spare injectors is nice
Spare fuel lines is nice
And a banks turbo..have to see what model it is and if wastegated and in good shape.

Hope all are enjoying their Sunday

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
For everything that is there, I don't think 500 is bad..... but here is how I would work it... (and have before with success)

I would have the 500 (or the max you are willing to go) IN CASH with me when I went. I would have 300 in one pocket, and the rest in the other. I would offer the 300 and SHOW him you have the cash... he might take it, or he may counter.... either way you have a starting point.

I've gone to purchase stuff this way before (one of the last things was a car) They were asking 2600.... I had all 2600 with me, but had 2000 in my pocket. Took it for a drive, decided it wanted it and pulled out the 2k and offered.... he countered with 2300, which was still fair. I accepted and handed him the 2300... we were both happy. I've told several this trick and they don't believe it until they see it....

Remember, cash is king, but... they may be asking XXXXXX amount, and could be thinking about holding out for that. But YOU are standing right in front of them with a CASH offer, and they may just change their mind... since you have money... and no one else it there offering full asking.....

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Ky85 what year 6.9, the 83-84s are not as strong as the 85-86 engines, it also looks like a first gen sidewinder judging by the bolt on down pipe, it is a non waste gated kit and it is not as easy to find parts for but russ might have parts

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@miles1400 I own an 85, this one being sold is an 84. I also saw it's an older banks, that's sorta a dealbreaker, however this guy may have parts for sale and I'm in the market for a radiator and some other parts.

@snicklas word, I got a ford stranger once for 600 off with crispy new 100 dollar bills. Of course I had more old ones, but it was in my buddy's wallet..in case I needed to borrow some.

Appreciate each and alls feedback. I'm more solid about my position on it.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
My 85 had the less desirable rockers. But ultimately it's your purchase. Around here in texas any idi has skyrocketed up in price compared to a few years ago. Not a bad deal.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
The cash is king wave like mentioned above works if the seller is motivated. Another negociation tactic I use before I show up is to just say "I find most folks put the price up high expecting take less. So what are you willing to let it go for?" Then I say "well lets look at what you got and go from there." You are not agreeing to his revised price, rather feeling out what his motivation level is. Once you get there you can offer less by explaining why, but probably don't want to insult the guy or he may ask you to leave.

"Although all the parts are here, its going to take a couple of days and parts to put this all back together. Also if something does not work or any bolts breaks off, more money more time. So could you do $300 since it is not assembled?" But if he knows what a complete turbo kit alone goes for, he may hold steady at $500 for everything. I the leason in this is to always ask for a discount, otherwise you may be leaving money on the table.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it is out of the vehicle and disassembled, assume it is a core and will require a full rebuild. Factor that cost in. If you are OK with $500 + the cost of a full rebuild, then party on. If not, talk him down to $300 or some number that makes you comfortable.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I think $500 is a good deal if everything is there. I am going to buy a 6.9 this week end with 160k on it, N/A, the guy is asking $450. I wasn't looking for a motor, but I couldn't pass that up. I think it's a no brainer at $500 with the turbo for you.

Rock

Last edited: