Are Bilstein shocks the best?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are Bilstein shocks the best all around shocks for my '94 4x4 f250? Usage is towing a 30 ft. RV, daily driver and mild off road stuff. For those of you who are running the Bilstein's, what part numbers did you use and where did you purchase them? TIA!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from totally worn out OEM's to Bilstein HD's and love them. That was 10+ years ago and they are running strong, I average only 8-10k a year but the first few years were higher than that as I daily drove it. I'll update this with a PN if I can find it...

I went with them due to reputation both in performance and longevity. They have lived up to it!

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went from totally worn out OEM's to Bilstein HD's and love them. That was 10+ years ago and they are running strong, I average only 8-10k a year but the first few years were higher than that as I daily drove it. I'll update this with a PN if I can find it...

I went with them due to reputation both in performance and longevity. They have lived up to it!

Thanks! That's what I was thinking. If you have them, PN's would be great!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I also like the Bilsteins. I have them on my Excursion. It has really helped the ride.

I've even been looking, when the shocks need replaced on my F-150, they will be Bilsteins.

Bilstein has a really good parts lookup. You can search your vehicle and get all the options they have for your truck. Shocks, most times they have 2 different models, the yellow 4600 which is what I have, and he 5100 series, that is normally for lifted vehicles, and steering stabilizer.

Here is the lookup for your truck:

https://cart.bilsteinus.com/results...Dr=8020725439657162304&Su=2320843299322976024

Which looks like they only have the 4600 series.

As an example of the other selections, here is the lookup for my Excursion:

https://cart.bilsteinus.com/results...Dr=8020725439657162304&Su=2320843299322976024

I would also recommend searching online and ordering them that way. I've found that getting Bilstein online is about the same price and the "cheaper" brands at AutoZone. I've even seen a "set" of all 4 online, for less than ordering 4. But, don't be surprised if it isn't close to $200, or more for 4 shocks. Ive seen them in the $50 a piece range, depending on the shock. For my F-150 they are $350+ for a set. but the front are more like a strut, so that pushes the price up. The rearss which are a standard shock are about $60 each...... That being said, from now on, any vehicle I own, and if they are available, will get Bilstein shocks. Just like I only use XRF suspension and steering parts (ball joints, tie rods and ends, etc).

Fordman1920032003

Reaction score
I haven't ran the bilsteins. I do however run and am very happy with monroe gas magnum shocks. They are made in the town I live in so that swayed my decision some, but they are a top notch shock.

Last edited:

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazon has front and rear for $260 shipped. Best price I've found so far...
iirc, someon, maybe Wes mentioned another PN from Bilstein that was somehow better. Maybe allows for a small lift, but still fit stock configuration? Maybe I'm dreaming...

Reactions: dgr

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darn you oilburners! Spending my money again. I'm in the market for shocks and have been leaning towards Bilstein. Let me know if you find a better price than rock Auto. It looks like eshocks is no more.

Edit:. That's a good price from Amazon. Thanks!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing to remember, in some applications, the Bilstein shocks get installed “upside down”. Where the body is at the top and the rod is on the bottom. When a Bilstein is installed correctly, the logo will always be right side up. If the logo is upside down, then it’s installed wrong.

I know this because the first front ones I got for my Excursion, were the F-2/350 ones, not the Excursion ones (yes, even though the Excursion and trucks have the same suspension, Bilstein specs different shocks). The Excursion part number installs rod up, but the pickup part number installs rod down.

I mention this because in the picture on amazon, the top two would be installed rod down (blue bellows closer to the ground (yes they do come with the bellows, if pictured)), and the bottom two would be rod up. My guess is the top two are the front shocks and the bottom are the rears in this case.

For example, for my F-150, the rears come with bellows, and installs upside down (bellows towards ground, and the fronts install rod up, with no bellows. Just wish they were a little closer to the price for the IDIs....

Bilstein 24-187381 33-187396 B6 4600 Series Set of 4 Monotube Replacement Gas Charged Shock Absorbers for 10-12 Ford F-150 RWD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXZLJI9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_mqSADbYHM7JTS

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Very happy with the 4600's.
Ordered them years ago from shockwarehouse.com

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my Bilsteins a few years ago, they replaced a set of Monroe Gas Magnums that I killed in under 10K miles. The Bilsteins made a noticeable improvement in ride quality, and so far I haven't killed them yet, though one or two are leaking a bit of oil.

The Monroe's weren't bad for the price, if you're on a budget they're better than dead shocks. I just wasn't impressed with how quickly I was able to kill them LOL

Tumbleweed210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently road testing the Monroe's ...after replacing the O-riginal factory shocks that had lost their bushings?

Almost 1000 miles so far....No complaints...No praise neither.
:peelout

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gas shocks are, at best a compromise. You think it's noticeable on a big old truck? Try it on something light and fast with a low unsprung weight. Go from a KYB Gas-a-just to a real damper like a Koni. One is just a valved gas spring. On a sports car upgrading to top of the line is like putting glue on the tires...