Anyone using the 7.3 coolant filter kit from Bob Riley?

jvencius

Reaction score
...since I've got one sitting in my garage now and will be installing it on Thursday. I'm wondering if there is anything I need to know/tools to buy before installing the filter. It seems like it should be a fairly quick job, but those are the ones that have a habit of biting me in the ****.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I'm using his coolant bypass filter. I tapped the bypass off of the out port on the water pump and the hose carefully snakes to the top of my firewall to the left of my brake booster where the coolant housing is attached by sheet metal screws. After the filter, the hose returns to my degas bottle. I had to install a "T" connector (supplied) to accommodate this extra hose. His suggestion is to change the filter after a few months...then again...then once a year. Difficulty rating * (* out of *****). If you have a super duty, your setup may be slightly different.

Snowman269

AKA: DDDENIO
Reaction score
So how'd your install go? I've found the kit to be of good quality. I installed the 203 stat with aluminum housing also. Since I'm there I may as well go all the way.

jvencius

Reaction score
Snowman269 said:
So how'd your install go? I've found the kit to be of good quality. I installed the 203 stat with aluminum housing also. Since I'm there I may as well go all the way.

If I hadn't dropped the fitting that threads into the water pump, the install would have been a lot smoother, but overall it was pretty easy process. I installed the bolts connecting the bracket and filter head backwards from how the directions said--I put the nuts/washers on the filter head side of the assembly and not on the bracket side since, on the bracket side the shank of the bolt that stuck out past the nut would hit on the radiator support bracket and the whole assembly wouldn't sit properly in position.

Snowman269

Reaction score
jvencius said:
If I hadn't dropped the fitting that threads into the water pump, the install would have been a lot smoother, but overall it was pretty easy process. I installed the bolts connecting the bracket and filter head backwards from how the directions said--I put the nuts/washers on the filter head side of the assembly and not on the bracket side since, on the bracket side the shank of the bolt that stuck out past the nut would hit on the radiator support bracket and the whole assembly wouldn't sit properly in position.

What year truck do you have?

Snowman269

Reaction score
jvencius said:
2002 (11/01 manuf date)

I had to install both of mine the same way, the bolts are too long and would have hit too. That's why I asked what year you had, I wondered if you were speaking of the same clearance issue. I also installed the Trans filter kit, it's quality!