Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty balsy thing to put on a web site I'd say. :backoff

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to Agnem's post above about the buyer with remorse:

I heard on the news that some of the dealers are having people sign something that if they don't get paid for the clunker the person traded in then they agree to bring the new car back to the dealer. Now let's say that the government denies payment to the dealer because the system that they are using for the dealers to file for the program can't keep up, It's already taking 3-4 days for the filing's to be processed and that is not including the payment to the dealer.

What happens if the person has to bring the car back under a situation like that?. The person would be on the hook because the car they traded in already had the engine destroyed.

I know there is a law in NJ that gives a person 3 days to change their mind from signing a contract on a major purchase as long as delivery was not made yet. I think their are other states that have the same law.

Now what would happen if a person was to trade their clunker in one day, signed the paper work but was not able to drive the new car off the lot yet because either the car is not prepped yet or the car is coming from another dealer. Is the clunker car destroyed right away or does the dealer have to wait for the person to take delivery before destroying the car they traded in.

A scenario could be that two cars are driven to the dealer, the one car being traded in under the clunker program the other is a ride back because the car the person is interested in is not on the lot has to come from another dealer or is not ready because of the prep not being done. The one car is left at the dealer then the other car is driven back to the persons house with the driver from the other car that was traded as a passenger. What happens if the delivery can't be made?

Another question is does this clunker deal only cover what's on the lot or can a car be ordered. Now let's say a car can be ordered but the dealer wants to have the clunker trade in now because he fears that he wont get paid for the clunker trade in because the program might be shut down and by the time the car is in the dealer the program is over. What happens if the guy changes his mind within the three days allowed under NJ law.

That guy mentioned buyers remorse and it was to late for him. I think that he will not be the only one.

Furthermore when the repo's start taking place. The people that should not have bought the car in the first place can blame the government for dangling a carrot in front of them. Just as the government made it so easy for people to buy a house without even having to verify your income.

Fortunately I have the attitude that if I can't pay for it outright I will do without it. Years ago when I was living in CA I had a client that owned a mortgage broker service. He asked me why I don't buy a house and I had told him if you can get me a mortgage for $800 a month including the property taxes, closing costs and home owners insurance I would consider it. He said he'd never be able to get me a mortgage that low and I told him then I am not buying.

A lot of others would not think that way and haven't thought that way and that is why they are having all the problems they are.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
The law has changed in the middle of the game. We now have 7 days to ruin the vehicle after the deal. Plenty of time for buyers remorse, but even then, I don't think we required to take the new vehicle back. You did sign some paperwork, right? Now we are suppose to get paid when the vehicle is taken to the salvage yard, not when it gets crushed 6 months down the road.
RIP..today
85 F150 2wd 4.9 6cyl
88 F150 4x4 4.9
91 F150 2wd 5.0 V8
90 Caravan, wheel chair access vehicle (don't you think some disabled American vet could of used this?)
95 Cherokee
95 Explorer 4.0 SOHC just inspected, detailed, vacuum marks are still on the carpet, underneath the hood looks brand new

Slated for destruction...93 Ranger ext cab, 2wd, 3.0 V6 We could park this think in the showroom and it would look like it was 1993 again..what a shame.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
The law has changed in the middle of the game. We now have 7 days to ruin the vehicle after the deal. Plenty of time for buyers remorse, but even then, I don't think we required to take the new vehicle back. You did sign some paperwork, right? Now we are suppose to get paid when the vehicle is taken to the salvage yard, not when it gets crushed 6 months down the road.
RIP..today
85 F150 2wd 4.9 6cyl
88 F150 4x4 4.9
91 F150 2wd 5.0 V8
90 Caravan, wheel chair access vehicle (don't you think some disabled American vet could of used this?)
95 Cherokee
95 Explorer 4.0 SOHC just inspected, detailed, vacuum marks are still on the carpet, underneath the hood looks brand new

Slated for destruction...93 Ranger ext cab, 2wd, 3.0 V6 We could park this think in the showroom and it would look like it was 1993 again..what a shame.

Yes what a shame indeed,..These are the cars that I make a living buying and selling, All of these trade ins would usually go to the auto auction and get purchased by smaller dealers to sell on their lot,..Not any more,....

All in the name of global warming,...:rolleyes:

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes what a shame indeed,..These are the cars that I make a living buying and selling, All of these trade ins would usually go to the auto auction and get purchased by smaller dealers to sell on their lot,..Not any more,....

All in the name of global warming,...:rolleyes:

So where are the used car dealers going to be in a year or so.

As for global warming it is a natural occurrence. When the ice age was over there was no cars or fossil fuels that supposedly create global warming.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only good thing I see is that this program can't go on for ever. :rolleyes: John, that list of vehicles including the cream puff is criminal. Are any of the mechanics having any serious morality issues with this? I mean... they have been bread and raised to heal.... not to destroy. I think I would get stressed out ruining good stuff. I had the process described in detail to me... god.. it's like your giving a lethal injection to a human.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The only good thing I see is that this program can't go on for ever. :rolleyes:

Yup, and all it's gonna do is drive up the price of affordable vehicles to unreasonable prices!

I think Biff said it best in the movie Back to The Future..... "I hate manure!"

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think lethal injection is a very good name for it.

As for global warming (now called climate change). I've spent the last few years trying to understand the great debate that is supposed to be over. Started out as a "believer" simply because it sounded like a good idea. Been slowly hardening my view as a skeptic ever since after realizing how hard it is to get strait answers from the activists.

Even polls in California suggest people are starting to have questions about this new religion. Canada is way behind though....:mad:

Simply put, the latest recorded (not climate model crap!!!!!) numbers suggest that all the "dramatic" and "unnatural" warming since the 70s has just been wiped out as of this month. CO2 emissions are still rising though, so something doesn't add up. Just don't point this out to a "believer". There is so much more, but this is a long post already.

Been reading a blog called "climate audit" for the last few days. heavy reading but still "interesting".....

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think lethal injection is a very good name for it.

As for global warming (now called climate change). I've spent the last few years trying to understand the great debate that is supposed to be over. Started out as a "believer" simply because it sounded like a good idea. Been slowly hardening my view as a skeptic ever since after realizing how hard it is to get strait answers from the activists.

Even polls in California suggest people are starting to have questions about this new religion. Canada is way behind though....:mad:

Simply put, the latest recorded (not climate model crap!!!!!) numbers suggest that all the "dramatic" and "unnatural" warming since the 70s has just been wiped out as of this month. CO2 emissions are still rising though, so something doesn't add up. Just don't point this out to a "believer". There is so much more, but this is a long post already.

Been reading a blog called "climate audit" for the last few days. heavy reading but still "interesting".....

I had a biology professor who was a die hard global warming nut, he actually made us watch "An Inconvenient Truth" and we had to memorize that stupid movie because he was going to put some questions about it on our Final Exam. I questioned his view one day and asked for proof that Global Warming was real and not just something for nuts to complain about, he just got all flustered and starting saying he doesn't see how anyone could think it wasn't real. He pulled out some graph that showed the last 100 years and documented heat patterns and said "see, it's going up". I told him this world is billions of years old, I don't think 100 years of data is enough to prove anything is happening. I felt that I hadn't been defeated yet, so I went to my Geology professor and asked for some climate charts, I found one that showed the climate patterns from many many hundreds of years, When I looked over it, you could see a definite patters of warming and cooling cycles, that were occurring long before humans were here too pollute. When I showed him this chart he became angry and said the chart was biased and that he didn't have to argue. I am really surprised I ended up with an A in that class, but I guess he finally seen my point.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
The only good thing I see is that this program can't go on for ever. :rolleyes: John, that list of vehicles including the cream puff is criminal. Are any of the mechanics having any serious morality issues with this? I mean... they have been bread and raised to heal.... not to destroy. I think I would get stressed out ruining good stuff. I had the process described in detail to me... god.. it's like your giving a lethal injection to a human.

We are all having fun blowing stuff up. Everyone likes to see mass destruction at one point or another. I do have serious issues with the decent cars that are being trashed, but who am I? A no-body, so my point doesn't count. Like you said, it can't go on forever, and we have trashed some junk, also. Lots of these vehciles are not driven much, you can tell by the layer of grime on them, I wonder if the new vehicle will sit as much, or will it get driven more than the old one, wiping out the notion that we are reducing emissions. An old vehicle that doesn't get driven is producing no emissions, while a new vehicle that IS driven will produce emissions. Hmmmm, food for thought.
John

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a biology professor who was a die hard global warming nut, he actually made us watch "An Inconvenient Truth" and we had to memorize that stupid movie because he was going to put some questions about it on our Final Exam. I questioned his view one day and asked for proof that Global Warming was real and not just something for nuts to complain about, he just got all flustered and starting saying he doesn't see how anyone could think it wasn't real. He pulled out some graph that showed the last 100 years and documented heat patterns and said "see, it's going up". I told him this world is billions of years old, I don't think 100 years of data is enough to prove anything is happening. I felt that I hadn't been defeated yet, so I went to my Geology professor and asked for some climate charts, I found one that showed the climate patterns from many many hundreds of years, When I looked over it, you could see a definite patters of warming and cooling cycles, that were occurring long before humans were here too pollute. When I showed him this chart he became angry and said the chart was biased and that he didn't have to argue. I am really surprised I ended up with an A in that class, but I guess he finally seen my point.

I high court in england has ruled that the documentary can only be viewed after the students are told that this is not the ONLY scientific opinion. The court also ruled that several "factoids" in the film are exaggerated or simply wrong. Small comfort since you already had to live through that BS in class, but it seems some push back is starting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you went to your bio-prof and asked about AGW, you weren't really out to bust his balls were you?

Sometimes a good ball buster just gets handed to you. Good to hear you stood up to him;Sweet

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the government is now going to throw two billion dollars of our money into the clunker program. It was approved earlier and announced on the news. The progrma is slated to run until Labor day.

Personally I think they could have used the 2 billion to fund something else like :yell: CREATING JOBS.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford is calling on the canadian government to have a similar program up here-cuss

All the media outlets are calling it a huge success. Burning through 2 billion dollars over the course of a few months is a success....imagine that.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I think the only clunkers that need traded in are the ones that came up with and implemented this ignorant idea!

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the media outlets are calling it a huge success. Burning through 2 billion dollars over the course of a few months is a success....imagine that.

I bet it won't last that long. The billion that they burned through was in about a week or so.

Time to write to my two senators again and tell them that I will not be voting for them.