Anyone run Rotella 15w40

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone always says their idi drinks rotella .. I don't know why. I have had nothing but good results using rotella. I highly prefer it over delo. None of the 6.9 and 7.3's I've had drank rotella. My current truck has 245k on it and doesn't drink it at all. The only oil I lose is from a leak at the pressure sender. I briefly switched to delo on my last truck and it felt like it was dragging it down. It also leaked at the oil pan which it didn't with rotella. I immediately switched back to rotella and it stopped leaking and it no longer felt sluggish.
I know that sounds weird since delo is suppose to be thicker. Just my personal experience with the two. My absolute favorite oil is Royal Purpal. But who can afford that stuff in a diesel ... not me lol.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 6 drums filled with used Rotella from my truck, back when I changed the oil every 2000 miles as soon as it got dark.

After getting rid of all the used oil I went nuts and stopped changing oil like a one legged chicken ina **** fight and just bought

The best product avaiable for lubrication and filtration, one of the selections wich are just a select few is AMSOIL for me.
Even after using Royal Purple I was convinced that conventional oil was not worth my time ever again.

Now I refuse oil changes unless some kinda data gets to me about my oil being bad enough to change, and with that said if the sample comes back bad, most likely something in the engine needs attention or worse it has to be repaired.

I have seen these IDIs run until there is .060 clearence at the top of the cylinder from wear.
At .060 the bores will not clean up! I still have that block, came in as a runner!

Start convincing yourself that the best filters are worth your time, BECAUSE THEY ARE!

Javier

nine9six

Desmo Inside
Reaction score
What would the "best" filter be? I'll use what I bought for now, but I'd like to bookmark what I need to get next time.

And what is a "Napa oil rinse"? I Googled it, but didn't see anything...unless your doing your hair. lol

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would the "best" filter be? I'll use what I bought for now, but I'd like to bookmark what I need to get next time.

And what is a "Napa oil rinse"? I Googled it, but didn't see anything...unless your doing your hair. lol

Go search out Auto RX, and the instructions speak of a RINSE cycle just using pure oil...no Auto RX ...that's all I'm saying...use the NAPA oil for rinse...as it seems to be an ok oil..

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have to do some research and find your own way, I would return the 1995 and pick up the Mobil1 version of the 1995 wich is M1-601 that would be an easy first step to finding the difference an oil filter can do for you. It will actually save money in fuel cost by inproving the filtration and allowing less dirt to be ground up by your engne wich drags you down.
Sounds far fetched, but not when you really think about it.

Javier

nine9six

Desmo Inside
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I've found a shop in Gainesville that has that filter in stock so I will swing by on my way home and pick it up. Will keep the FL1995 as a spare, for that "just in case" situation.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I had 6 drums filled with used Rotella from my truck, back when I changed the oil every 2000 miles as soon as it got dark.

After getting rid of all the used oil I went nuts and stopped changing oil like a one legged chicken ina **** fight and just bought

The best product avaiable for lubrication and filtration, one of the selections wich are just a select few is AMSOIL for me.
Even after using Royal Purple I was convinced that conventional oil was not worth my time ever again.

Now I refuse oil changes unless some kinda data gets to me about my oil being bad enough to change, and with that said if the sample comes back bad, most likely something in the engine needs attention or worse it has to be repaired.

I have seen these IDIs run until there is .060 clearence at the top of the cylinder from wear.
At .060 the bores will not clean up! I still have that block, came in as a runner!

Start convincing yourself that the best filters are worth your time, BECAUSE THEY ARE!

Javier

mine had .020 taper and still had 500 pounds of compression on 2 cylinders.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone always says their idi drinks rotella .. I don't know why. I have had nothing but good results using rotella. I highly prefer it over delo. None of the 6.9 and 7.3's I've had drank rotella. My current truck has 245k on it and doesn't drink it at all. The only oil I lose is from a leak at the pressure sender. I briefly switched to delo on my last truck and it felt like it was dragging it down. It also leaked at the oil pan which it didn't with rotella. I immediately switched back to rotella and it stopped leaking and it no longer felt sluggish.
I know that sounds weird since delo is suppose to be thicker. Just my personal experience with the two. My absolute favorite oil is Royal Purpal. But who can afford that stuff in a diesel ... not me lol.
I've had very good luck with Rotella products myself, along with millions of others...

IDIMAN94

Reaction score
This is the first time I have heard about Rotella having problems in a diesel. I use Rotella 15W40 in my 94 and not had any problems with consuming oil like I have read here. I go threw 1 1/2 quarts in a 3000 mile period, and that is mainly due to my pass side valve cover leaking. The previous owner of my 94 told me he used Rotella (I have recepits to prove he wasnt lying to me) so that is why I continued to use it. I have a customer that comes into my shop and he has a 99 F350 powerstroke with just over 505,000 on it and he bought it brand new and has used Rotella from day one.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the first time I have heard about Rotella having problems in a diesel. I use Rotella 15W40 in my 94 and not had any problems with consuming oil like I have read here. I go threw 1 1/2 quarts in a 3000 mile period, and that is mainly due to my pass side valve cover leaking. The previous owner of my 94 told me he used Rotella (I have recepits to prove he wasnt lying to me) so that is why I continued to use it. I have a customer that comes into my shop and he has a 99 F350 powerstroke with just over 505,000 on it and he bought it brand new and has used Rotella from day one.

You must have a full time job doing all them oil changes :sly not my idea of fun, I rather drive those days instead of doing oil changes due to use of 20/40 micron nominal Motorcraft filters and Rotella, No thanks!

Javier

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That is alot of oil changes. However, it is likely his engine would have still made it that far if he decided to use a different brand of oil.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napas oil is made by Ashland the same people that make Valvoline
. it's very similar to Valvoline

IDIMAN94

Reaction score
You must have a full time job doing all them oil changes :sly not my idea of fun, I rather drive those days instead of doing oil changes due to use of 20/40 micron nominal Motorcraft filters and Rotella, No thanks!

Javier

I dont mind changing oil at all. Its just something u have to do to get the bigger ticket jobs into the shop. Theirs no driving at my shop, I answers phones, wrench, collect money, wrench somemore, answer more phone calls, and collect more money.

That is alot of oil changes. However, it is likely his engine would have still made it that far if he decided to use a different brand of oil.

His truck is still running great. He was just in last week for an oil change and maintence check and I will probably see him in about 3 weeks for it all again.