Anyone rebuild a starter?

hjalbert

Reaction score
The starter went caput in my truck, it would not spin due to the fact that one of the brushes wires broke, and it was riding against the .....I dont know what it is called. ANy one have any experience rebuilding these? I have looked for replacements, but none are the same as mine, it is a 10 tooth, and its on an 85, f350 2wd 6.9.... I thought that I had read that they stopped using the ten tooth in 84, but I could understand if ford was using up its 84 model parts.
Would the fly wheel have to be changed to use a newer year starter? or am I complicating things? thanks

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A rebuild shop should do it for about $50. I have rebuilt a lot of starters but not one like yours. I believe the part the brushes ride on is the commutater. If this is still smooth and shiney a set of brushes might fix it. If it was mine while it was out and apart I would put a rebuild kit in it(bearing bushing brushes). Match up what you have with a new one at the auto parts store or take it to a rebuild shop and have them ID it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ebay has several complete rebuilt kits up for bids now. The kits have brushes, bearings, bushings, o-rings and something else but looks good for the price.