Anyone know about early F-350HD trucks?

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1984 F-350 reg cab with a stretched wheelbase 6.9 IDI and a 4-speed stick, it's a dually and the GVWR is listed at 11,000, anyone know about these things? Is it like a F-Superduty? Or just some custom-ordered rig?

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, when I say 'stretched frame', I mean factory-installed ex-cab Longbox or crew-cab frame under a reg cab body.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at 11k GVW you're still a F350
at 15k GVW you're now a F450
how does a DOT know the difference? they count the lug nuts. 8 lugs(f350), 10 lugs(f450)
there's no getting around that.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your input, there seems to be very little actually usable information of the F-Superdutys trucks and that. I was always under the impression the F350s stopped at the 10,000 GVWR, but apparently not. I got it thru an intermediary and it was formerly a 'tire shop field service truck' with an underhood air compressor and everything, that long frame is kinda trippy, I could add like crewcab rear doors and still have a bed, but it's only a regular cab. ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your input, there seems to be very little actually usable information of the F-Superdutys trucks and that. I was always under the impression the F350s stopped at the 10,000 GVWR, but apparently not. I got it thru an intermediary and it was formerly a 'tire shop field service truck' with an underhood air compressor and everything, that long frame is kinda trippy, I could add like crewcab rear doors and still have a bed, but it's only a regular cab. ;Sweet
post pics. :D
like to see what the compressor looks like.
also, got a measurement from the back of cab to rear axle?

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly that beast is a project-in-waiting, though I'm thinking about dragging it outta the weeds, scrapping off the moss and rebuilding it into a towing rig to get into small-scale shipping, like through a bidding site. I'd like to build it to be able to safely tow something like a 32 foot gooseneck weighing up-to maybe 15-18,000lbs. Strip it down, no box, extra fuel tanks strip all extra weight and convert it to a F.R.P. flip-front. :sly

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadly that beast is a project-in-waiting, though I'm thinking about dragging it outta the weeds, scrapping off the moss and rebuilding it into a towing rig to get into small-scale shipping, like through a bidding site. I'd like to build it to be able to safely tow something like a 32 foot gooseneck weighing up-to maybe 15-18,000lbs. Strip it down, no box, extra fuel tanks strip all extra weight and convert it to a F.R.P. flip-front. :sly
bad choice for what you want to do. most shippers will demand a truck 5years old or newer. unless you are like "Tonkadoc" who built a specialty hauler(it hauler only travel trailers. 3 at a time) you will not get a nod from any shipper other than the ones who won't pay you.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sounds like an F350 C&C. Frame rail spacing is narrower on a C&C than on a pickup, and IIRC, they never came in any wheelbases that would accomodate a pickup bed. Did/does it have a pickup bed on it? As mentioned above, is it 8-lug or 10-lug? What's the wheelbase?

Can you post a pic of the door jamb sticker? I know the later C&C trucks said something about "Incomplete Vehicle" on the sticker.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of actually sorta building it for that purpose, build a small-sleeper for behind the cab, redone engine and all mechanicals in better-than new condition, done with only round-top fenders over the rear. Like a mini-big-rig. :LOL: :rotflmao

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know about the 'C &C", but it doesn't have a bed, it has a fiberglass tire service body on the back. The guy I got it from bought the truck only because he wanted the 1,500lb crane in the back, when he bought it from a local G**dyear tire shop.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Def a C&C. They built them as F350s so small operations (like tire shops.....) could have a service truck without buying a 10-bolt, since in many states, driving a 10-bolt requires a certain level of CDL, and registration, inspection, etc. are generally more complicated with the "450" level and up.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot to mention the 8-lug wheels. It'll make a nice truck, but she needs some serious TLC as that body has been failing and pushing onto tHE back of the cab, so when I pulled the door open to check the GVWR now I can't close the door again, OOPS. :LOL: :rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.