Anyone building a custom turbo setup? Need a turbo?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Friend of mine has a MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) 20g "*******" turbo that he wants to get rid of.
If need be this can be moved to the marketplace. But I wanted to give all my IDI brothers a heads up.
Its a fresh rebuild. He wants to sell it to me for my Eclipse, but the thing is just too darn big for my taste in that car.
In terms of size, its bigger than the T3/T4 hybrid turbos used for our trucks, but not as big as a power stroke turbo.
This turbo in a 4cyl gas engine such as the one in my Eclipse will push 600hp and over 30lbs of boost.
I know there's a few of you doing twin turbo setups, and series turbo setups and this may be a ticket item for you guys.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, I'd be cool to see some photos and A/R ratios of the compressor and turbine.

Heath

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Okay, he bought it from Slow Boy Racing a couple years ago, and just got it back from the shop from having it completely rebuilt.
Here's the link to SBR http://www.slowboyracing.com/estore/product.php?productid=1977&cat=195&page=1

He doesnt know the AR ratio's right now but I will look.
Basically it started life as a TD05H 16g turbo, but SBR shoehorned a 20g compressor wheel in there, and this one has the TD05H turbine in it. So it has a Mitsubishi style exhaust flange.
This one has had extensive porting and polishing of both exhaust inlet and outlet sides of the housing. The compressor wheel blades have been clipped (as you can see in the pics by the sharp edges) to "reduce boost lag, and reduce spool time". It has a 31mm wastegate as well.
I'll find out more solid info on it for you guys.
This turbo cost over $1100 new, and he just had it professionally rebuilt with 0 miles on it.
I believe he wanted like $500 for it, but says make an offer cus he needs to get rid of it.

You must be registered for see images attach

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ok, from the looks of it, I'd say the exhaust turbine is slightly smaller than a T3/T4 hybrid ATS turbo, and the compressor wheel is slightly larger.
I heard at one time Banks used the TD05H CHRA in their turbos, so the exhaust would be the same as a banks, and the compressor would be bigger than any of the aftermarket turbos for our trucks.
I think Russ could clarify allot more than me.
Im only going by what my friend is telling me, and what little is out there on the net about these.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That turbine looks tiny! It looks quite a bit smaller than my Banks. But, it's always difficult to tell with photos.:dunno

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin