antitheft ideas?

fuzzydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, sledding season is here now and I get quite nervous about leaving my truck parked with the sleds on it. I do use a club which should deter most attempts, but for the hardcore thieves I'd like something more. When I have to leave a gas vehicle anywhere I generally pop the coil wire off and take it with me but...uhhh, yeah, obviously this won't work with my IDI.

Can anyone direct me to where would be the best place to put in a hidden fuel solenoid shut off switch? (at least I think that is what I would want to disable, right?)

Thanks in advance for any help

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could hide a toggle switch under your dash somewhere that interupts the current through the red wire with the green stripe. That would ensure that the truck would not start. But the criminal would probably run the batteries down trying to start it, better a jump start or a tow home then a stolen truck I guess. You could also just interupt the main power wire to the ignition so that it would not even be able to turn over.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kill switch for the FSS is what you need, as the NSS can be easily bypassed by jumping the starter relay on the fender. If you got an e-pump, put a kill switch for that too.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unplug the 12V to the IP. Wont start then. Would a thief even try and pop the hood?
yup they do:D
i get paid by the bank to steal cars;Sweet
domestic IDI trucks aren't high up on the repo list but I know how to steal them. I can get around electrical items. I can get around a club. I can't get around the pedal lock devices. That I use a towtruck for:eek::D;Sweet

seacow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just throw a handful of Black Widows in there and nice note for the thief advising him or her or it of their presence in the truck. haha

fuzzydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unplug the 12V to the IP. Wont start then. Would a thief even try and pop the hood?

They might and I realize that if they really, REALLY want it, they will get it. I will just feel more comfortable knowing that I have done something to slow them down. Your idea here intrigues me...is it that simple? just pull off one or both of the electrical connectors shown in this pic?

regarding the other ideas, where is a good spot to cut into the red wire with the green stripe? Is that the FSS, and if not where would be a good place to tap into that circuit?

Thanks again for the advice and info

Attachments

• DSCF2809.JPG
    DSCF2809.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 8

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
yup they do:D
i get paid by the bank to steal cars;Sweet
domestic IDI trucks aren't high up on the repo list but I know how to steal them. I can get around electrical items. I can get around a club. I can't get around the pedal lock devices. That I use a towtruck for:eek::D;Sweet

It's not as fun when they realize what's goin on though.....actually, wait...it is. If you like working under pressure!:rotflmao

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
on my 00 I had a hidden switch, but I also put one in plain view right with some other switches, they look for hidden ones, but not obvious ones, it even was a 3 pos with 2 kill poisitions

3day240sx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the small wire off of the top of the starter solenoid and tuck it away under the heater box. Nothing will look out of place.

Use a wing nut to hold the battery wire to the solenoid so you can just unhook the battery wire from there. It would take a repoman's skills then.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Hide a battery disconnect somewhere?

I also like the fact that my key wont engage the starter, probably the only thing good that came out of it wearing out LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the best antitheft system, I have a great dane and I bet you wouldnt even think about opening that door.:backoff
i have pics where my buddy's dog ate the interior of his '94:eek:
choc lab. ate four sets of patio furniture......he should have known better than to leave the dog in the truck alone.