another vrv question

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to those of you that has adjusted the vrv, my question is when you pump up to 20lbs of pressure to the vrv and cycle the throttle 5 times is it supposed to hold the vacumn, are slowly disperce of the vacumn everytime you cycle the throttle. the way mine is when you cycle the throttle the 5 times it is completely empty. and when ever you hold it at wot, with 20 lbs of vacumn and the 1/2 spacer installed you can turn it either direction and can never get 13 lbs of vacumn. sounds like the vrv is toast are im doing it wrong. any thoughts would be nice and remember be nice. lol

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap...I put one on 2 summers ago and wow did it make a huge difference in trany shifts...no more high RPM neck snapping shifts!;Sweet
Several Trany shops said I needed a rebuild $$$ yea sure:rolleyes:

I know I followed the instructions to the letter...as I recall vacuum did drop at the hand pump during the set-up. I thought the new VRV was bad...not so!
Wish I could offer more info but I honestly can't remember the details.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks hammer down for the info. ive tried setting it with a vacumn gauge and pump and it doesnt do right. the only way i can adjust it is by feel. i took the old one off today and took it apart to see what was wrong with it. it works different than i thought it would. ive messed alot with gassers in the pass and i know on a carburator when its ideling there is no vacumn applied to the modulator valve until it is slightly off idle you get vacumn. but i noticed that the way the vrv is built you get vacumn untill you move the throttle, and the more you move the throttle the less vacumn you get. why would it be different on a diesel trans then a gasser?

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
It works like a manifold vacuum port on a gasser. More throttle=less vacuum. The port on a carb uses the venturi effect to create vacuum. The faster air moving through the venturi creates more vacuum as more air goes through the carb.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember a gasser gets its vacuum from the throttle body...a diesel's intake is just a big hole that ='s no vacuum. That's why there's a vacuum pump.
As I recall I had to apply and (maintain) 20 inches of vacuum because it would bleed off.
I do have the instructions on my computer (pdf file) but not sure how to sent them:dunno

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can pump it up to 20 inches of vacumn and as soon as you cycle the throttle once, its gone. if i push the throttle to wot with the 1/2 guage inserted you can pump it up to 20pounds of vacumn and it will never read 13 inches of vacumn no matter how much you adjust it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 thoughts. Jake S, if you want to share your PDF, th easiest way is just to get an email addy from whoever wants it and send it as an attachment. That's the way I'd be comfortable with. Jtate, you can also check here http://intellidog.com/dieselmann detailed instructions there. I've never had very good luck with them, on more reason I don't like my C6.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Remember a gasser gets its vacuum from the throttle body...a diesel's intake is just a big hole that ='s no vacuum. That's why there's a vacuum pump.
As I recall I had to apply and (maintain) 20 inches of vacuum because it would bleed off.
I do have the instructions on my computer (pdf file) but not sure how to sent them:dunno

If you have the instructions in a pdf file, and its not too large ( under 244.1kb) you can attach it to your post here. just scroll down to the manage attachments button, click that, then browse your computer for the file and upload it.