another turbo question

plumbtuf

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for info on truck .I will install lift pump and return lines? this weekend.In the meantime the truck is an 86 with 107k on drivetrain but original moteor died from cavatation.Has a junk yard motor in it with unknow miles on it. Truck came with original motor ( in bed) with a turbo. It is stamped Air research T4 on housing. Is this a good turbo to use? There is a turbo/injector shop in farmington NM that I could have it inspected at but just wondering if something like this is worth rebuilding or not. Also water seperator on truck is bypassed, do I need to have this hooked up or not

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have all the pieces to make the turbo work on your truck, it's worth looking into rebuilding. Best thing to do is take plenty of pics of what you have and post it here. with some visuals, we can tell you for the most part if you do have everything or not and give a positive ID on your turbo kit.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would rather see you have a water separator than have it bypassed, but the stock separator is pretty rotten on the 6.9. As to the turbo, have it inspected at the turbo/injection shop for endplay. If it doesn't have play in the shaft, I would throw it on. You can get a rebuild ranging anywhere from $165 if it just needs a turbo kit on up to $500-600 with a complete turbo overhaul.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for info on truck .I will install lift pump and return lines? this weekend.In the meantime the truck is an 86 with 107k on drivetrain but original moteor died from cavatation.Has a junk yard motor in it with unknow miles on it. Truck came with original motor ( in bed) with a turbo. It is stamped Air research T4 on housing. Is this a good turbo to use? There is a turbo/injector shop in farmington NM that I could have it inspected at but just wondering if something like this is worth rebuilding or not. Also water seperator on truck is bypassed, do I need to have this hooked up or not

Plumbtuf

Welcome to the site! Glad to see there's someone new that's in our neck-of the-woods, comparatively speaking. I'm in Moriarty, NM and Ryan Eklund (reklund) is in Albuquerque so we're only about 4 hours away.

Tom