ANOTHER E4OD Thread? Rebuilt, Sat a Year, Now.....

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if the feed bolts were not torqued correctly and came loose? Just went through this with my friends truck. Only he had no forward gears when warm. When it was cold it would drive like nothing was wrong. Always had reverse. We dropped the valve body on it and sure enough the feed bolts were so loose we could turn them by hand. Torqued them down and have not had a problem since.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta set that FIPL at the proper voltage so that tranny knows what the engine is doing! Any issues with the tach or speedo?

I'm kinda hesitant to think the FIPL will solve the issue, but having it set incorrectly isn't good by any means.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as I had to teflon-tape the sender plug on the deep pan.
Not good using Teflon on fittings in a Hydraulic circuit. If you ever pull out the sendor, be sure and clean the threads with a pick, any Teflon shreads of it gets into the circuit can cause problems.Teflon paste is OK to use, it is a liquid.

The wrong TPS setting will cause problems, check and set it between .96 and 1.2 VDC, use a paper clip straightened out to probe the center wire, use a Digital VOM for setting on a warm engine. Upper voltage produce a harsher shift. WOT voltage cannot be set, it is what it is, as long as it's not over 5 VDC.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Thanks, gentlemen.

Here's today's update:

(1) Their test-driving (finally) revealed to them the slow-to-go-in-1st-when-cold condition.

(2) A new solenoid pack just arrived. Their immediate plan is to install that and retorque the valve body bolts, and observe its behavior.

(3) I asked if they had tested the pump's pressure output. They said no, that they had more tests to perform. :shocked:

(4) The boss said that this is quite an unusual situation, as units that come back always have only one issue. This one has THREE! :rolleyes:

(5) The TPS/FIPL thing is a factor, but there are internal trans issues to consider first.

You must be registered for see images attach

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
I would have done a pressure test first. That would cut down on the guess work.

Yeah, my thought, too, Trackspeeder. But I'm just a dangerous amateur.

Meanwhile, today:

Van on the lift, trans on builder's bench. New solenoid pack resolved slow-in-first issue, as well as shift codes, but not the delay in reverse. So, down she came for teardown.

Builder's first project at 9 am.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Delay in reverse is a way too sloppy clutch pack. There are a few fixes for this. The easiest is a bigger boost valve.

Delay in reverse has been an E4 complaint for years. The other fixes. Thicker steels, or my favorite more meat.:Thumbs Up

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Delay in reverse is a way too sloppy clutch pack.

Well, looks like you were about ½ right, Trackspeeder. Ya got the sloppy part right.

Today was the first time the shop let me know that my trans had had numerous unusual "upgrades" by its previous local rebuilder. Only (after teardown) today did they realize that this included machining of sealing ring grooves, which left a wider groove than factory. The builder did not notice this mod during the original build, and the direct clutch circuit suddenly had a nice big leak past the slopping stock thickness sealing ring. They were about to test drive the beast after I was leaving.

ARE WE DONE YET? asked a friend (and fellow OB member). Nope. Assuming this cleared the reverse issue, the score is still: 2 down, and 1 to go.

We still have the issue of the inconsistent lockups. IIRC, the shop said that the computer is issuing lockup commands at the proper times, but the lockups are not executing properly. But, that'll be next week. They'll test drive it Tuesday morning, with their remote box connected. Stay tuned.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did it drive properly after the rebuild, and before sitting a year???

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got burned by the melted plastic check valve in the pump. Hopefully being a transmission shop they're aware of such an issue.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Well, looks like you were about ½ right, Trackspeeder. Ya got the sloppy part right.

Today was the first time the shop let me know that my trans had had numerous unusual "upgrades" by its previous local rebuilder. Only (after teardown) today did they realize that this included machining of sealing ring grooves, which left a wider groove than factory. The builder did not notice this mod during the original build, and the direct clutch circuit suddenly had a nice big leak past the slopping stock thickness sealing ring. They were about to test drive the beast after I was leaving.

ARE WE DONE YET? asked a friend (and fellow OB member). Nope. Assuming this cleared the reverse issue, the score is still: 2 down, and 1 to go.

We still have the issue of the inconsistent lockups. IIRC, the shop said that the computer is issuing lockup commands at the proper times, but the lockups are not executing properly. But, that'll be next week. They'll test drive it Tuesday morning, with their remote box connected. Stay tuned.

I don't know why somebody would open up the ring grooves. I wouldn't call that a mod. The only thing that will do is turn the hub into junk.:eek:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Did it drive properly after the rebuild, and before sitting a year???

Negative, BD. Trans died for unknown reasons Dec, 2013. Transmission pulled out and rebuilt in early 2014. THEN I got to remove engine, for the already-on-my-list-when-the-trans-died, remove-heads-to-redo-what-the-first-machine-shop-screwed-up, and put the whole mess together and get it running, all of which took over a year.

Short answer: Trans sat for a year while I dealt with the ailing engine. Did not reinstall and test trans before removing engine. cookoo

That this vehicle again moves under its own power is beyond my comprehension. :eek:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
I don't know why somebody would open up the ring grooves. I wouldn't call that a mod. The only thing that will do is turn the hub into junk.:eek:

Agreed, Trackspeeder. Glad I stayed well clear of the shop that did the previous rebuild. (They had a nice big ID tag on it)

Nearly 6 years undoing what the previous owner did to this van. For example, the grease fittings on the u-joints point forward and aft, so I need to UNBOLT the driveshaft and pull it aside, to access the fittings! :frustrate:frustrate:frustrate

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
I got burned by the melted plastic check valve in the pump. Hopefully being a transmission shop they're aware of such an issue.

I do mention you fellas' input to the shop, mccall52, since I do seem to have their attention. LOL Thx, I will ask about that on Tuesday, and report back.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Agreed, Trackspeeder. Glad I stayed well clear of the shop that did the previous rebuild. (They had a nice big ID tag on it)

Nearly 6 years undoing what the previous owner did to this van. For example, the grease fittings on the u-joints point forward and aft, so I need to UNBOLT the driveshaft and pull it aside, to access the fittings! :frustrate:frustrate:frustrate

My friend was good for installing U joints like that. :rotflmao:rotflmao