Another Bricknose Lighting Option

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we had a thread about the new ebay clear lense light housings you can get from the brick noses. I wasn't super impressed with them before I retrofitted bixenon hid projectors into them and was thinking what to do with my old lights..

Since the main issue is the fluted non clear lenses and you have to retrofit hid projectors into those to make an improvement anyways it's not super cost effective. What if there was a way to get a clear lense on an existing housing?

That's what I'm gonna try with my old lights. This will only work if your lights have the chrome trim around them.

The glue is so dried after 30 years you can pry the lenses off with a screwdriver.. peel the old glue out, pry the trim rings off and get your dremel out and dremel around the lip of the front of the lense that sticks out once the trim ring is off..

You must be registered for see images attach

You can see what's left of the lense in there. The next step will be to go to home depot and get some clear lexan cut. Looks like it will need to be 10 1/4 x 6 1/4 to cover the hole and be glue able to the old lense. I'm going to also put a black piece of plastic or aluminum around where I made the cut so you cant see the edges and then I'm gonna spray gloss black over the old chrome so you really won't know what I did.

There's a projector just sitting in one. You can imagine it with the lexan glued in and something covering the edge of the cut in the original lense with it all blacked out.

I'm also for the sake of cost effectiveness going to see if a 4x6 bi-led light like the bullnose trucks take can sit in the light. If it fits you could easily jb weld a little "stand" to keep the 4x6 centered and use the oem adjuster to aim it..

All in all my goal is for there to be an easy way if you have a dremel, 10$ lexan from home depot and jb weld and 100$ for either 4x6 leds or an hid kit for us to have better lights. I love what I did to ernest with the already clear ebay lights but 150 for those and the hell of baking and separating them plus still needing to buy leds or doing a retro versus doing this may be just as good and might look just as good..

I can for sure say getting our factory lense pried off and cut with a dremel is 15 minutes and 0 stress versus baking permaseal in your oven and an hour later having the lense off and no way to get the old glue out. I'll toss in projectors when I finish the "oem" versions I'm working on here, but I really want to try and go LED on this build both for the truck it's going ins looks and just to see if i can make it work.

Last edited:

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, idk why we call them fluted lenses on the hid planet website. They're good for what they were there for, but absolutely a nightmare for projectors or leds which can be way brighter and aimed better for other drivers than halogens but definitely not with these lenses.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I got the lexan sheets. There about 1/8 of an inch thick. You really can't tell they are in there but I assure you they are..

So far I'm in this 10$..

Next step is getting these from amazon Tuesday and tossing them in and seeing what the best way is going to be to get everything secured and glued back up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07N2HGQSW?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Still havent decided what I'm going to put around the edges to hide the "cut" I did on the factory plastic.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely going to be following your progress! This will be the way to go if it works.

One problem I see is that those Amazon head lights have heat sinks on the back. If you bury those heat sinks in the old light housing, they are probably going to overheat. Can you hog out the back of the old lights so that most of the heat sink is uncovered?

Just realized that these are sealed beam replacements, right? Probably don't even need that lexan across the front.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will definitely work. I'm sitting the led on a carb cleaner lid, I'm going to use some super strong plastic adhesive to glue it down. Possibly with the carb cleaner lid or a 1 1/8 inch small... something to keep it centered and so it doesnt fall over in there. I'm also blacking out the whole inside of the light and edge of the old lense with spray paint.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only challenging part so far has been gluing the trim ring with the clear plastic piece between the old lense. It's a thin piece but its keeping things just far apart enough for getting thr trim ring part back on that I'm not sure how it's going to hold.

Getting the whole thing to glue back together to the light assembly will be easy, I just want to make sure I have the "lens" portion solid before I glue it back on the light.

Here's a finished one. I'm gonna let the glue fully cure overnight and shake it around tomorrow and see if my first attempt at glueing it is the way to go.

*edit*

That's also the wrong "side" lens sitting on it. I glued the whole lense assembly together and the led to the housing but didnt glue the lens assembly to the housing itself until I'm sure I like the way things are but they sit perfectly in the groove of the housing and I set the passenger side lense in the drivers side housing for that picture and just flipped it 180 degrees by accident. You can tell by the chrome piece being too small on top and too big on the bottom. Glad I didnt glue that part yet lol.

Last edited:

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think I'll be able to find the pins easily from the led side. Guessing black is ground yellow is high beam and red is low, now I'll just have to figure out the 9004 side

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not heard much good about the knockoff 4x6 bi leds but i hope they work out
But I am excited to see where this whole hid projector goes.
I am currently working on retroing a set of mori m1 7.0 in 5x7 for my aussie lights on my brick talk about a pain

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hid part is done that's the last picture in my first post was on a different truck.

These bi leds are the same ones just a newer model I have in my 6.9 and they are pretty impressive..

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's in, still waiting on the one side lense to dry but the assembly is in on that side. It looks good, I wasnt sure how the chrome would fit on a non chrome truck.

Only worry is I think I aimed them too low and the vertical adjustments are broke at the right angle piece so I have to adjust them from the back so I'm not mounting the lenses to them permanently until I can take it for a drive down the lane and only putting a few of the bolts on the assembly. I think it's close but thankfully the plastic adhesive I used isn't impossible to remove in case I need to pull the lights back out and sit them on a small shim in case I'm out of adjustment too much but I think it's close probably 90% as high as it should be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online