an IDI as a ranch tank?

Daryl4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

It's Mint

Kidding aside, IF you want to do this with a cheap pickup/SUV then you can't get much better then a Ford with an IDI and a Dana 60 front. It's been proven again and again that the IDI is near impossible to kill (once started) and the D60 is of course legendary. Most common weak link is the transmission and transfer case. The ZF5, and C6 are both quite good, but to make it bulletproof grab a 4 speed rig. The 13-56 transfer case is unreliable but the NP205 isn't a hard swap. I'd figure your ideal rig to be a 86 or 87 F350, those two years are solid front axle and 4 speed if manual, engine would be a 6.9 stock as well. Swap in a 205 and weld up both the axles and you're set.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to even say that the dana 50 TTB is nowhere near as bad as people claim. There's like three rubber bushings that can wear out... but for off-road use anyway, it doesn't matter at all. They are pretty strong, ride a bit better than the straight axle, and trucks with them are a lot cheaper/more common to find(f250 vs F350)

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Maybe you should just have an actual a ranch TANK. LOL

Only slightly kidding, and as far as the ATF is concerned, if you want a working main gun, it's just a $200 tax stamp and register it as a DD.
A fully operational T-72 is about $50k (plus shipping over here) with a spiked gun, but you have to get an import license......

Of course, you could buy a Saladin or Ferret for less than half the price, and those can be road legal....

Here's one for you:

http://www.armyjeeps.net/RussiamMT-LB/index.htm

You must be registered for see images

RUSSIAN MT-LB MULTIPURPOSE ARMORED AMPHIBIOUS VEHICLE

This is a nice example of the Russian MT-LB in a troop carrier version , it is restored inside and out and is running and driving and is powered by a 290 HP.V-8 Diesel.It weighs (mt) 11.9 ( Combat Wgt.) length (m) 6.35, height overall ( m ) 1.87, width overall (m) 2.85, ground pressure (kg/cm 2 ) 0.46 standard track / 028 wide track. It has a small front turret with a 7.62-MM machine gun and seating in the rear for a crew of 10 in addition to it's 2 man crew ( driver andCommander-Gunner).

This is a rare piece of Russian War History ( circa 1970's ) and a good safe APC.

PRICE: $100,000

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I’m leery of old construction equipment. Bought an old tractor and it is clear I’ll have to rebuild every part of it. I looked at old Willys jeeps that I could beat to death but parts are not cheap and they are really light. So I’m looking at IDIs because I’m familiar with them and have a stockpile of parts. The bronco is shorter and can get through tighter areas, but doesn’t have the F250s mass to smash through a bunch of 2” thick dead branches.

I expect to really mess up the front and break a few windows. I’d weld on a crash bumper and lots of steel plates to protect the radiator, driveshaft, fuel tank, etc.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just find a junkyard rig then, or something at the bottom end of craigslist. You can probably find a plow truck or running 6.9 truck quite cheaply and easily, slap your steel plates on it and it'll probably handle it.
Make sure it's 4x4 though, so you have the low range.

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is brilliant. I vote build a bronc... er , tank-o . Got time? Got spare parts taking up space? Why not make something bitchen... worried about weight. Cement is cheap and good dent insurance if you pack the the frame and fenders with it..***** like bondo but hardcore cause it's made with rocks and stuff .. pour beer in the the mix before it hardens and it's good for twice the durability.

because roadkill ...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online