an IDI as a ranch tank?

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Looking at some ford F250s and a Bronco with 7.3 IDIs

Need a ranch vehicle that can take a lot of physical abuse, driving thru tree branches, over large rocks, thru soft soil, etc. Doesn't have to carry a lot, just get thru dense forest filled with live and dead branches and tons of various cactus that is near impossible to walk thru.

I'll probably add a crash bumper, an external roll cage, made of 1/4" steel plate and 3" pipe and tie them together. It will wear tire chains year round and never go off the ranch. No intention to resell it, don't care about cosmetics.

I'd really like a Sherman tank or a CAT D9 but that is a bit pricey.

Anyone got a beater and really beat the hell out of it?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well there is guy I have been watching on YouTube but he uses very course language during the videos to recommend it on here lol his 89 7.3 probably has taken more abuse than any truck I've every seen. Now obviously something is gonna break at some point beating the crap out of trucks but this one has just been beat down beyond it looking much like a truck anymore, brake clean starts it up, mud bogs, running into things and redlining for a good time and fueling it with half empty cans of chemicals as fuel . If you wish to view it being beat on I can send you a link lol my 87 bronco has taken a lot of abuse stock with only a 3 inch body lift and 33 mts its spent 50k miles in sand, mud, snow, gravel, logging roads and me learning how to drive at 16 many years ago so burnouts "drifting when it's wet outside and general hot rodding through town till I graduted to my 7.3 at 19. I still hve it, still runs and drives just needs some general maintaince done and it still wants more

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I'd really like a Sherman tank or a CAT D9 but that is a bit pricey.

You should be able to get into a used D4 or D5 for about 5-6 grand. 10 grand if you go through a dealer, but then it'll be serviced fresh and you'll have a complete inspection.
Just make sure the undercarriage isn't worn out completely, that's the spendy repair.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what you're saying youre gonna be doing with it... I wouldnt even bother getting a truck. I would go with a friggin dozer or something man lol.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well there is guy I have been watching on YouTube but he uses very course language during the videos to recommend it on here lol his 89 7.3 probably has taken more abuse than any truck I've every seen.

I think I know who you're talking about. His channel was pist n broke off-road or something like that. Now he changed it to zip ties n bias plies. Lol
Dude cold revs the **** out of that thing. Almost uses a full can of ether too. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DiecellDan

Reaction score
My 93 idi is My ranch truck. Very dependable. Goes through anything. Has a 6 inch lift with generic ALL terrain tires. Gets through lots of dead/alive mesquite tree and handled very Well in thick brush and mud.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine, it is a beast. She far nothing has stopped it, we use it as the water truck on our property. If it gets scratched or beat up, no problem, it will never see the highway again.
You must be registered for see images attach

threegenpowerstroke98

Reaction score
Had an 89 that we used for a farm truck for many years. Stock tires and four by four. beat the crap out of that old thing and it always came back for more. Ended up getting rid of it after it had sat for years and needed some serious tlc mainly being wiring. Decided it wasn't worth fixing since the body was so rough and we have four other powerstrokes.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I know who you're talking about. His channel was pist n broke off-road or something like that. Now he changed it to zip ties n bias plies. Lol
Dude cold revs the **** out of that thing. Almost uses a full can of ether too. Lol

Yeah that's the one I stumbled upon it one day watching random truck videos, that poor motor and truck takes a serious beating not to mention all the other trucks on his channel lol

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are talking about the one I think, he is MUCH worse than Dave (David's Farm)was to an IDI, isn't he?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way worse lol he redline from startup with ether and glow plugs and then adding ether to rev it higher than the redline while cold till It dies then redline some
More lol

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that proves just what a beast the IDI really is. Pretty darn hard to kill.

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure. I've seen many idis all beat to dogcrap with Farm Use plates in VA lol some probably haven't seen fresh oil in 10 years

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
But ifbit runs fine, why mess with it?
That thick old oil is probably tightening up some loose bearing clearances. Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86