1st post. Advice on safely re-starting a 94 7.3

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
It seems you have not yet started it up, so maybe I am not late to the party.

My truck sat for over ten years and started right up on the fuel in the tank. Might be a little different in GA with condensation , possible algae and whatnot. Your results may vary.

Good luck!

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exhumis my Oilburner brotha from anotha motha'... and all you others that hit the LIKE on this response, LOL

Relax. Breathe. Twisty turny your bodies into a YOGA pretzel :)

Say "Omenamme Compadre' OM"....whatever you need to do.... (btw, I dont have a clue what the "HE-double toothpicks" this means or why you should say it, or even if, I spelled it right but, its supposed to relax you- ha!).

Anyway, its a effort in progress folks, and so, I say this respectfully, as I know your just giving me grief from all my redundency, but.....

Its not YOUR money on the line if I frick it up, its mine. Thats why I keep asking questions, figuring ON "what if" scenarios, etc.

Just sayin'.... :) I'm getting there. Its finally stopped raining here AND the TORNADOS stopped too. Did ya'll know just a few days ago, IN MY AREA of the country, over 30 plus people died from the twisters that were whipping up around me here in the #theDEEPSOUTH.

Well, now ya know, so, weathers cleared up and I got out there in the dry and the blue and I pulled apart the entire OEM harness for the glow plugs today in anticipation of the IDI CDD theWESPAUL replacement harness (since the Accurate Diesel bullet ends were NOT the solution to my flakey, breaky, OEM GP ends) and now that Wes's IDI GP harness is on its way and should be here by Friday...I'm preppin' again... and during this process, wouldn't ya know it another snafu to track down...today I noticed fresh oil all around the back of the top of the block and it was not there before I changed the oil.

I did not spill excess oil but since I flushed the block 2x with diesel, and then did the new oil/filter and fuel filter, some new leak, weep, seep, has occurred. I'm out there again tomorrow and doing more prep. for THE WESPAUL GP wiring arriving.

Now, god bless you all, and rabablami, salomi and mazzaltoff.

LOL, this "crusty, diesel monkey, is doing the best I can with this "fix it yourself in your mid 50's" all.

And btw, I'm trying to make it an adventure not just a destination and laughing all the way, actually crying as my wallet keeps saying why am I empty all the time :(

I'll for sure keep you all posted, if ya'll will keep readin' as I KNOW ya'll "really do want the best for me and my dinosour van".

Have a good night folks, "the old as dirt asphalt cowboy" is going to get a shower and the diesel goop off...

Have a GREAT Thursday, All!

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

Oh yeah I know man, just giving you a ration. I can't blame you since it's your transportation; I have the luxury of my truck being for hunting and recreation. Glad to hear you're safe, that's the main thing.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Its got to be the PB that I sprayed liberally at each of the base of all 8 GP's, that the accumulation of all the PB, eventually, finally all trickled back to the back of the intake and CDR area?
That's a good possibility.
You know some people say that dealing with the engine compartment in a van is their worst nightmare because of the tight quarters, but with the seats and the doghouse removed, in some ways I prefer dealing with mechanical issues and leaks in a van OVER a pickup, because at least, on a van, you can see and get access to, both the front and the rear of the engine.
Sometimes it's a curse, other times it's a blessing.

8gitmusik1

1994_E350_7.3_IDI_N/A_E4OD
Reaction score
Raining pretty bad still? Haven't seen any updates. Hope all is well bud
Hey Frankenwrench and other fellow OB's:

Had to get back off the van for a bit. On to other projects temporarily, like riding mower oil/filter, blades, prep and de-winterizing and prep for weed wacker/string trimmer, hedge trimmer, etc. Fun in the spring rain, I meant sun, lol.

Yep, spring has definitely sprung! My grass and weeds in the yard are getting out of control already because of all the rain and also weather warming up. I got some pics of some of the van fixes, etc but been too busy, with other stuff to edit them and then post.

Thanks for checking in with me, I hope all is well in your world bud.

I'll get back on here soon with updates over the weekend, if......... it doesnt start raining again, lol. Heck, if it does, maybe then, i'll have some time to edit and add comments to some of these pictures...we'll see...

All the best to all ya'll "Oil Burners" out there!

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
Finally got back to fixin' my van, thought after doing the yard maintnence stuff and seeing Wes at CDD clean up the engine on proj. Rewbrooks, I'd use some degreaser and some elbow grease and clean up the engine while I have been doing all the other stuff BEFORE 1st re-start.

Low and behold, darn it but, I believe I've found the problem with the water getting into the oil pan and the oil running down the back, near the drain underneath the CDR.

How?

Got out the shop vac, rigged an extension with a reduction angle on the end of the hose and was cleaning up the galley pan near the IP because it had pine straw in there and it I see that it has a hole rusted in it, below the crud, there it was, a rusty pit in the valley pan cover. ARGGHH,!?

I dont know what Im gonna do next. I'm not a diesel mechanic, but this...HOUSTON, WE HAVE APROBLEM, time. And, realistically, Im not qualified to pull everything apart, I dont think anyway.

Frustrated is an understatement.

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
Oilburners with 7.3 idi's....

Does this mean removing the IP and fuel hard lines, then removing the intake and water pump and everything else on the top and front of the engine. It seems like this is what I'm going to be up for? Any input? What does a shop charge for replacing a oil gally/valley pan? Help please....

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s typical for engines that have set for a long long time with water on the engine. You will need to remove the injection pump, intake manifold and injection lines. Mark the pump where it’s at now and realign it when you’re done. Water pump stays in place, you don’t even need to pull the valve covers off. Here’s a picture of what it looks like without the intake in place.
You must be registered for see images attach

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plan B solution - Get in there, wire brush the pitted area, clean it all up with acetone/mek... then use Permatex 1-minute-gasket and just glue it up - should be a much easier fix and it's not under pressure anyway...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If it's a real small hole, maybe you could clean it up really good, scratch it up with some coarse grit sand paper and then use something like JB Weld to patch it. Maybe you could even use some RTV since there's no oil pressure here. And look, Macrobb beat me to it.

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
thewespaul,mcrobb and idibronco

Guys, you have been steadfast and solid, and if I ever meet ya, #oilburner brothers, in the flesh, get ready for a bear hug, not just a big paw shake.

First, thanks for giving a darn enough to post responses and, various solutions/fixes. BIG THUMBS UP to Ya'll.

Now, the dirty, the size of the hole is not a pinhole. Its quarter size, and who knows, more rust may exist additionally where I cant see?

Brothers, bronco and mcrobb, JB is an option, and I'll get some pics up over the weekend but, I'm thinking Wes, may have said it best.

It is looking like a complete pan to do it right. Just never have been this deep in an Idi outdoors attempting this large and deep a repair. Gettin old and having low bucks just sux, don't ya know..anyway...

It'd fo' sho', be easier in a dry shop, with a qualified diesel mech. at the ready but I got ya'll, maybe I can manage it...

Lol, God, I wish, but, here I sit, 4 months into no transportation, big bux already spent all in and still a big repair ahead. Not whinin', just a bit perplexed ya'll, lol.

More pics, info, advice will help to kick me into gear like a mule.

Lord knows it'll be a dandy if I could pull this off.

Q: Anyone clue whats a pan and gasket set gonna run, and foremost, for you 20 and 30 yr. old guys, do ya really think (encouragement is much needed, lol) can an old cuss' do this new malady justice and make it right?

Last edited:

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, with a scrap of metal, you could patch just about any size hole, then slather the surrounding area in silicone stuff.
Then, you can get the engine running and driving, worry about fixing it 'right' later, once everything has been tested and you know what else to replace while you are in that deep.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like macrobb said I would patch it till you get around to it it's not a pressure vessle and it won't hurt. Anything but to be a purest yes change the valley pan

8gitmusik1

Reaction score
Honestly, with a scrap of metal, you could patch just about any size hole, then slather the surrounding area in silicone stuff.
Then, you can get the engine running and driving, worry about fixing it 'right' later, once everything has been tested and you know what else to replace while you are in that deep.
So, Mcrobb, bud,
Over the weekend, ill clean some more and see if there is more complete errosion of the pan in other areas. If Im only dealing with the one large hole, I have a good amount of aluminum treadplate scrap. Could this be used as a patch? Also, I know youve been deep in many 7.3 idis so, what is exactly underneath the pan below the IP. What will go permently wrong if I dont get in ther and clean, vaccum up any pan parts, pine starw, etc. That may have gotten into the area below. The oil galley pan.....

Anyone else, please join the fun, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Members online