1st post. Advice on safely re-starting a 94 7.3

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It sure would. I checked Mapquest and Whitehall would be about a 16 hour drive for me:(. Of course there's always the saying "GPS says you will arrive at your destination in... All I see is time to beat is...":Thumbs Up Either way, that would be a tough one for me.

8gitmusik1

1994_E350_7.3_IDI_N/A_E4OD
Reaction score
@8gitmusik1 did it ever fire up for you
No, ODP86. I did not start the engine. However, I do appreciate the interest and advice from you and all the others on OB so far.

Ive cleaned up the pan area better so I can see the issue and Im definetely going to need a valley pan. Im not willing to restart with the rusted pan pieces that fell into the oil galley, and that is just the limited view of what I can see with a flashlight now, there is probably more pan debris and who knows what else in the galley. Its not as bad as the pic Wes, posted however. Not even close, but Im sure that engine got a rebuild. Still for me its not a great prognosis at this point. Im still trying to be optimistic but this is motor is nickel and diming me and yes, it has been neglected for a while, but its one thing after another. I feel like a wallet with legs, lol, and cant afford to keep going if after all this I may need to rebuild the block and heads. Right now the van is covered with a tarp and a tarp over engine to make sure no more rainwater or anything else gets into the engine.

Starting the engine with this material in there would definetely be a bad idea as the lifters just below the hole are peppered with rusted valley pan debris. I am going to have to remove the IP and intake manifold for sure.

I am reading up on pulling the IP and marking it correctly so I can reinstall without retiming. Never pulled an IP before. It looks like the valley pan has been rusted thru for awhile, Im not sure if all the effort, time and $ up to this point has been wasted? I have to get a valley pan, new cdr and cdr gasket grommet and tube kit and?.

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8git, do you happen to belong to the Ford-trucks.com forum? There's a guy on there that has quite a few idi parts.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I am reading up on pulling the IP and marking it correctly so I can reinstall without retiming.
Just in case you didn't know this, there's a dowel pin in the front of the injector pump so that it will only go back through the gear in one way. You could make a mark on the gear housing and the pump to make sure that it gets lined up the same way that it is right now. You still have no idea on whether the pump timing's even close right now and won't until you have it running and have the timing checked. With all of the rust that has dropped into the lifter valley, I think you're doing the right thing to not try to start it until you can clean the valley out and replace the valley pan. The rust particles shouldn't make it through the oil filter, but they could do some pretty hood damage to the oil pump.