Amp meter- inductive

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does any one know where I can pick up an inductive amp - meter for my truck. Its the tool you lay on the wire running from the alternator and the needle indicates amps to or from the battery.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Inline for a in cab gaugei - Summit, Jegs, and Napa do. Google amp meter.

Clamp on for just testing - Fluke or find a old vat 40 or vat 60 online.

New style is the amp clamp is built into the box - Harbor Freight red box with volt and amp gauge. It reads the amperage off the cable going into the box.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Proper place for the ammeter is the smaller wires that feed the truck from the starter relay. You are monitoring the amount the battery is being charged, not the output of the alternator. If you have a large load on the electrical system, the ammeter will read near zero or even negative at idle. All of the output of the alternator is going to the load, and not much is going to the battery.

If you put the ammeter on the alternator output wire, all you will be doing is verifying the alternator is working, not how much the battery is being charged.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you put the ammeter on the alternator output wire, all you will be doing is verifying the alternator is working, not how much the battery is being charged.
Not to mention that with a 3G alternator, you'll max out the ammeter and possibly short it out. I had that happen to me one time. A 1G alternator might not do that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance