Aluminum ebay rads to stay away from

pac11

Reaction score
I've been searching old posts on aluminum IDI rads trying to figure out what to buy. Besides packaging problems and what coolant to use there doesn't seem to be much wrong with them.

They are sold by: American Eagle, Champion, Radiators 4 less, Affordable Radiators, Auto parts profess store, Performance Radiator.

They range in price right now from $169 - $299

Are they all created equal? Is there one seller to stay away from? Are they all the same brand of rad sold by different sellers?

I don't have an auto trans so I don't really care about the trans cooler nipples getting broken off.

Thanks all.

'93 factory turbo F350 crew cab.

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Welcome to OB...nice to see another Canadian here.

Cannot speak to your queery but I am sure others here will chime in with plenty of suggestions...Rodney Red seems to be the preferred flavor..but that's like filet minion vs regular ground beef....

pac11

Reaction score
Yeah, I read about the Rodney Red, it sounds great but since these ebay rads seem to do well I think that's the path I'm going to take.

I'm just trying to figure out what sets them all apart besides the price.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the 2r American Eagle one. It had a couple of fitment problems. The Radiator is about an inch narrower than it should be. It's supposed to sit on 2 pins that stick out near the bottom. It does not even touch these pins.

I had to cut the lifting things on the sides of the top tank as my hood would not shut with them there.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would not surprise me if all these radiators are made by the same place in china, and the guys you are listing are just dealers stateside for them. I bought one off ebay and it hasn't given me any trouble. It sure is easier to lift out compared to the original radiator.

pac11

Reaction score
I'm going for the $165.95 one. I'll post back with some pictures and how it fit when I get my hands on it. I'm getting it shipped for free to a US address that I use so it may be a few weeks till I actually get it.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also factor in that the old radiator is worth about $50 or more at the scrap yard...

I bought A Champion radiator off of Ebay. It bolted right in. But the screw in bungs for the trans cooler were bent when I got it.
I called Champion before I bought mine; they quoted me a much higher price and said that they were a distributor for many of the Ebay sellers.
I'd guess that most of them are the same radiator.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a "champion" radiator from championradiators.com - it came in a box marked american eagle without damage. Some of the fins are a bid dinged up which is disappointing since its new but for $200 I think thats what you get. I haven't even installed it yet so no comments there.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my $0.02, but you're getting what you pay for...... I would expect to pay $250-300 for a good quality radiator this big. Super cheap made in china c*** is just that..... and who knows what corners were cut. Do you really want your radiator falling apart in a couple years?

pac11

Reaction score
You're absolutely right that's exactly the reason I searched around for problems with these cheap ebay rads before I hit the buy it now button. The picture of this $165 one looks exactly like what another ebay seller has for $299, and also they look the same as the one that my local Lordco stocks for $405. I can't find one report of anybody saying anything bad about the longevity of any 100% aluminum IDI rad.

I am a heavy equipment mechanic and don't think that I won't be checking it over really well before I stick it in.

Everything is a gamble and I've decided this one is worth it to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online