Alternator rebuild shop?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Is going south and since I like it said's Motorcraft I'd like to have a shop rebuild it for Me. Anyone know a good shop around my area and how much will it cost Me?

Thank you, Exekiel.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
i have many friends in NorVa & the MD area surrounding DC... i'll make a few phone calls & let you know what i hear.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Anybody Guys? I dont want to get stuck on the road, but I'd like to have it rebuild instead of just buying some nooneknows at napa or similar.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EZ, Lancaster Starter and Alternator is where I would take mine. Of course that is near me. Not sure about your area.

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try stahley's Electric in Westminter MD 410-848-4408. He did mine and pushed it up to 130 amp.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If Frank doesn't get any around here that He's friends could recomend or I don't find anything closer I know if you chosse it then it must be good so I could mail it to them and have it back in a few day's.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well at the rebuild shop they would charge as much as the stealership with 1 year warranty, at napa it is $207 with a lifetime warranty wich I like better since napa is almost everywhere and I can go have a replacement for free when it goes bad again. What do you all think about it?

and also, how many amps are ours? the guy at napa asked if it was 130a or 165a I guessed it was 130 and 165 for an ambulance but wanted to check with you guys first on both questions.

terry walker

Reaction score
I would not buy it at NAPA! I have had a very hard time getting them to honor their warrenty unless you just so happen to have your proof of purchase with you handy when you break-down out of state! I figured they would have a nationl computrer file like AZ or Advance but they do not and I ended up having to purchase the new starter.

Terry

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
terry walker said:
I would not buy it at NAPA! I have had a very hard time getting them to honor their warrenty unless you just so happen to have your proof of purchase with you handy when you break-down out of state! I figured they would have a nationl computrer file like AZ or Advance but they do not and I ended up having to purchase the new starter.

Terry
Most NAPA's are independently owned and operated. No receipt. no warranty. My last partshouse job was a NAPA manager. Don't missit one bit. :D

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
towcat said:
Most NAPA's are independently owned and operated. No receipt. no warranty. My last partshouse job was a NAPA manager. Don't missit one bit. :D

Yep, all your traditionals are, NAPA, AutoValue, CarQuest and such. I managed an independantly owned store for almost 12 years, started as Parts Plus then went to AutoValue when a new owner took over. While most of them utilize programmed distribution, which generally includes nationwide warranty, I always hated to warranty a part that someone else sold and made the profit on, as it took a unit off my shelf that I could lose a sale on for 0 profit. So while we had the ability, we didn't have the inclination!

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zek, give Stahley's a call. I think mine was about $100 or so including new diodes to make it 130 a few years ago.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
Well at the rebuild shop they would charge as much as the stealership with 1 year warranty, at napa it is $207 with a lifetime warranty wich I like better since napa is almost everywhere and I can go have a replacement for free when it goes bad again. What do you all think about it?

and also, how many amps are ours? the guy at napa asked if it was 130a or 165a I guessed it was 130 and 165 for an ambulance but wanted to check with you guys first on both questions.

Some things to consider regarding NAPA crap parts:

-Get REAL comfortable with replacing your Alternator/Starter/whatever you buy from NAPA/Autozone/CarQuest. Most rebuilds consist of nothing more than a cleaning and a coat of paint. You'll use that lifetime warranty for sure.

-How many years/miles has your Motorcraft unit lasted? I guarantee that a replacement from NAPA or the like won't go nearly as long. Spend your money on the Motorcraft part, it'll likely last as long as the original. It may be a little more expensive now, but you won't be putting one in every year.

-You do get the 12month warranty on the Motorcraft unit. If it's faulty, chances are you'll find out in 12 months.

-Your truck used a Motorcraft alternator from the factory for a reason. On something as vital as an alternator, why chance an aftermarket replacement?

I know we all use aftermarket parts in different locations on our trucks, but in my experiences, factory parts are superior in every way. Factory electronic parts, water pumps, brakes, etc. fit properly and work right the first time.

Ryan