Alternator Issue?

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would my charge guage moving from the center towards low several times a minute indicate that my alternator is going bad? I've been noticing my battery light has been blinking when I don't have any lights or the vent on. Somebody mentioned it might have been my voltage regulator in this post http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13503. Well, now my truck is stuck at the apartment with dead batteries, because the last time i drove the truck the needle was doing what i mentioned above. My thought is it is the alternator, so i'm probably going to buy one, and while i'm at it get new battery cables and maybe a voltage regulator to make sure its all good.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds more like a short to me. You've got something creating an intermitent heavy current draw, which just happened to be a bit less intermittent when you shut it off last.

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just amazed that the needle actually moved. There is hope.
Maybe try removing the fuses and intalling them one at a time and check for the needle dip. Or leave them in and pull them out one at a time. Both ways will work. I had that happen on an old '69 Thunderbird, my first car, and it turned out to be the power window switch was stuck and it caused the internal circuit breaker to cycle. If the battery is dying with the ignition off then that would rule that out. I'll stop talking now, I'm out of idea. Keep us posted, Doug

SKimballC

Reaction score
Replace the voltage regulator first. Its $15 and easy. I had one crap out once and it did this. I tried pulling fuses looking for a draw and found none. An old timer at the part store- who not only actually knew his head from his ass but knew these trucks(!), a rarity at parts places these days- told me that screwy things happen when the regulator goes south, like intermittent charging. I swapped it and he was right. Its worth a shot.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bet is either a short circuit or a bad connection in the charging circuit.

You can have the alternator checked, don't start just throwing parts at it.

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, i'll start with the voltage regulator. i gotta find a place to charge my batteries because they are dead. it won't happen for 2 weeks though because i'm back in Washington to get married! :) thanks for the ideas.

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had very similar instances. First pull the alternator and have it checked ot see if it will put out the proper amps at voltage. You can have it upgraded to a 130 amp unit with a change of rctifiers.
Second, you should replace your regulator, BUT also change the plug that goes itnot the reg. It is easy, and I have found them to burn.
Third, BE SURE TO GROUND THE REGULATOR BEFORE PLLUGGIN IN THE PLUG. The ground needs to be to the case. In my case I had low voaltage with low amps. The needle would go back and forth when the turns were on, and if I didn't have anything turned on the BAT light would come on. I aslo have noticed that the gauges suck. I installed a seperate gauge on the dash. One other thing. The alternator puts out when RPM's rise over 1000. Before that it is limited.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What gunther said, also run an extra ground from the alt to the regulator mount/fender support, It is amazing how much brighter the headlights are now. also brushes could be worn and causing this problem.

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know this is old but i wanted to post an update. the voltage regulator was what was wrong. Everything is fine now. Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad to hear you fixed it and it was the cheap thing. Thats an eay way of finding out what was wrong. I just hate throwing parts and money at a problem because I don't have any help. Now I have you guys and gals to help me. Great site.;Sweet

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To stay on topic...It happens to mine all the time...I keep spare regulators in the tool box at all times!

Anyway I was wondering how the big trip went, glad you made it back safe and sound! How's married life so far??!! One of these days after things get settled down for yah we are going to have to make it a point to run into each other! Congrats again on the marriage! ;Sweet