Alright!! The GP controller has got to go!

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Well this morning once again the truck wouldn't start had to drive the ole 69!
I am tired of trying to figure out the system that was installed on these trucks (my 1994 turbo). I have replaced everything that has to do with starting this thing in cold weather, including glow plugs, gp controller, starting solenoid, batteries, starter, you name it I've replaced it.
SO, how do I put a switch in the cab to operated the glow plugs manually while maintaining the light when the switch is activated. Has anybody done this that has a really good explanation of what wires need to be hooked up to what and which are no longer used? I checked the tech articles but found only a solid state conversion. I just want to turn them on instead of the "Abby Normal" brain that ford tried to put on these trucks to turn them on. I'm gonna do it one way or another but if anybody can run me through it or has any tips that would be excellent! Thanks!

Adam

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

And to think you wasn't going to buy the 6.9 that has got to be the best $400 you spent. you better get on your knees :hail :hail :hail :hail :hail to the 6.9

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
smokin_stroker00 said:
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

And to think you wasn't going to buy the 6.9 that has got to be the best $400 you spent. you better get on your knees :hail :hail :hail :hail :hail to the 6.9

Yeah I think me driving the 6.9 this weekend instead of the 7.3 had something to do with it not starting. The 7.3 sat for a week almost and it usually runs every day. Might be time for some Oltimas too.

whitestroker

Reaction score
Diezel_Cowboy said:
Yeah I think me driving the 6.9 this weekend instead of the 7.3 had something to do with it not starting. The 7.3 sat for a week almost and it usually runs every day. Might be time for some Oltimas too.
otflm
ao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
let me drive the stack hemmi for a while shell be glad to be back in your hands, see i told you the 6.9 wouldnt let you down. :rotflmao

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'll tell you what i did to my 90. on the controller looking from the bumper the terminal on the left nearest you is the ground wire, remove wire & tape up now install a new wire from that terminal to new push button on dash & from button to good chasis ground. turn key on push & hold button for 5-8 sec crank motor & start if no start in 10 sec push button for 3-5 sec more while still cranking mine has started everytime since doing this.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well not quite. The 6.9 has a seperate power contactor for the glow plugs, where as the contactor on the 7.3 is integrated with the controller. The 7.3 glow plug brain is considered to be pretty foolproof when everything is as it should be, and not too many have had to go the push button route with it. I'm sure it can be done, but don't know it off the top of my head. I'd say it is pretty obvious that there is a wiring problem since you've replaced all the components. A bad ground or some other high resistance connection will really put the system on its knees.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Agnem said:
Well not quite. The 6.9 has a seperate power contactor for the glow plugs, where as the contactor on the 7.3 is integrated with the controller. The 7.3 glow plug brain is considered to be pretty foolproof when everything is as it should be, and not too many have had to go the push button route with it. I'm sure it can be done, but don't know it off the top of my head. I'd say it is pretty obvious that there is a wiring problem since you've replaced all the components. A bad ground or some other high resistance connection will really put the system on its knees.

Mel,
You are correct about the differences between the 7.3 and 6.9. However, I disagree about the "brain" being foolproof, I think they put "Abby Normal's" brain in the gp system on these trucks! LOL
Have you ever had something that you replaced everything and got so fed up with it that you found a new solution or a better fix?.......Well that's where I'm at right now with this gp system. Bad ground or not I've made up my mind that I'm bypassing the controller..........It's not doing its job anyway!
The entire system was created the way it is for uninformed or unfamiliar diesel consumers. If it had a push button and you know how to use it then a button is much better and simpler than the system it has.
I was hoping you or someone else might have put a button on one of these newer IDI's, anybody else got any info it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Might have to dive into it myself......If i do before anybody else speaks up then I will surely write up how I did it and how it works.

whitestroker

Reaction score
Well DC or Disabled Cowboy............I have yet to see you tackle any thing yourself so ....................................moose and mees wees gona hafta git a beer and watch dis liddle side show...................

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The major diff between the 6.9 controller setup other than one being a bi-metallic strip(6.9) and the other being solid state, is that the 6.9 one controls the 12v power to the relay via the controller, whereas the 7.3 solid state one controls the ground via the controller to complete the circuit.

So, on the 6.9, you wire up a new 12v power to the relay via a pushbutton to turn on the glowplugs, but on the 7.3, you need to wire in the ground via the pushbutton to control the relay and thus the glowplugs...!! :thumbsup:

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
whitestroker said:
Well DC or Disabled Cowboy............I have yet to see you tackle any thing yourself so ....................................moose and mees wees gona hafta git a beer and watch dis liddle side show...................

Looks like you already had a few beers when you was typing this LOL

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
I think he really needs to do something ...........now I think I just blew up the controller. But he thinks it works better now. Will have to wait until it gets cold and see :D LOL LOL

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
smokin_stroker00 said:
I think he really needs to do something ...........now I think I just blew up the controller. But he thinks it works better now. Will have to wait until it gets cold and see :D LOL LOL

First of all, Thanks for the explanation Zigg ;Sweet

And second to bring others up to date. Well SS and I were pokin around at the gp controller last night and he jumped two of the terminals which quickly made a poping noise from the controller. When I started the truck this morning (about 45 degrees F) The WTS light came on for longer than it had before and the truck fired right up..........however, there was no clicking after the WTS light like there was before. The truck seemed to start fine but it really isnt that cold out yet. Does anybody else think that we ruined the controller since it isnt clicking anymore? If it starts when it is cold out like it did today I wont miss the clicking!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about the controller sticking on, and ruinating the plugs.