1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air-water CAC/intercooler on an IDI?

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Fision, Mar 2, 2020.

1. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

Plenty of people putting CAC's in obs powerstrokes. They 94 still ran the idi style wide radiator. 95 went to a different setup, but identical size radiator.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2. u2slow

u2slow bilge rat

I was thinking those are both 'square' rads....

The wide rectangle one being 37" wide, 16" between tanks (#CU1166) and tough to get intercooler piping around.

3. Fision

Fision Full Access Member

But easy to get small coolant hose around:Thumbs Up

u2slow likes this.
  4. 71 Highboy

71 Highboy Registered User

I did that to add coolant capacity to slow the gradual increase on a hard pull under load. Usually reach the top of the grade before max temp is reached now. Air to air intercooler drops temps from 160 to 80 on a hard pull. EXTRA COOLANT CAPACITY.jpeg custom built for behind stock 1971 grill.jpg

ocnorb likes this.
  5. ocnorb

ocnorb IDIT

That’s a sweet looking old highboy!!

My first truck was a ‘69 bump side. 2wd with a cammed 390 and a sloppy 4-speed. Good times and lots of broken front shock mounts!

6. 71 Highboy

Thanx! I bought it in 1974 with 140000 on the odo. 360 was stock gasser, but soon replaced with 390GT spec'd engine. Then along came a 460 and trans... and in 93 it got the current 6.9 with a turbo system without the intercooler. I designed it to fit with very little mods to the front end. Over 500,000 on the chassis. If it breaks or wears out, I fix it..

7. Fision

Fision Full Access Member

As cool as EVERYTHING you said is, what surprised me is 140,000mi on a 3 year old truck IN 1974!?! NO ONE drove a non-commercial vehicle that much then. What were they doing?!

And YES, that’s a sweet truck! Nice work in maintaining it!

Scotty4 likes this.
  8. 71 Highboy

It surprised me as well when I went to look at it. The guy was a logger from Stayton Ore. Into the Cascade mountains everyday, and back home. It was in good shape and the price was good for a kid out of hi school. The 360 was gutless to begin with. Imagine it with hi mileage!!

1mouse3 likes this.
  9. Laine D

Laine D Full Access Member

I’m curious. On a 360 (or any FE), what is considered high mileage? Are those older engines any different than the gas trucks from the idi era as far as longevity? I don’t mean to sound dumb. I know they’re great engines, we had a 410 in a boat not too long ago.

10. 71 Highboy

Back then it was leaded gas and flat tappet cams. If you were good about oil changes, 100,000 was good life before a rebuild. Metals and machine work have advanced tremendously since then. 360 was a good engine, but 390 was a better choice. And of course, there is no replacement for displacement. Just look at the availability of large crate motors in todays world...
    If you built an older engine today with roller cams and lifters, coated pistons, total seal rings, and improved guide materials and seals, I would expect 200,000 like any new car properly maintained is capable of.

Photo062.jpg

Farmer Rock, ocnorb and 1mouse3 like this.
  11. 1mouse3

1mouse3 Full Access Member

Yea those truck fe are gutless do to being low compression and wear down the cylinder wall some will make it that much worse, I had one years back. They are adictive tho and have a 10:1 low mile "396" now that is night and day different in power. They make beautiful music when in the load pedal with header and h pipe.

[​IMG]

Laine D, 71 Highboy and ocnorb like this.
  12. Laine D

Everyone loves the short beds but there’s something about a lowered long bed that looks so sick

1mouse3 likes this.
  13. 1mouse3

1mouse3 Full Access Member

Is it the perfect tuck of the fat rear tires?

Laine D likes this.
  14. Laine D

I think that might be part of it. To me it’s just that it’s not as popular, so when I see one it really peaks my interest

1mouse3 likes this.