Air intrusion with video

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrTryingmybest#p/a/u/0/snOz_l3j_pQ

Hey guys,

I am new to the air intrusion thing. Here is a video of a clear line from my fuel pump to the filter. It looks normal until about 40 seconds in when a bunch of bubbles enter the line. It will cycle where there is no bubbles, then about 40 seconds later a bunch of bubbles will enter the line. I ran it for a couple of minutes and it keep true to this cycle. Old Bull suggested pulling clean diesel from a bucket which I plan on doing when I get the time, but until then I am trying to gather info on this problem.

My question is...If I am getting air between the pump and the filter I can assume that I have air intrusion between the pump and the tanks. Can I assume that I do not have an air intrusion after the filter?

I have new injectors, not pop tested, new return lines and caps, new glow plugs, and the truck starts fine.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated on help finding the frustrating problem

and remember, I am Trying my best here LOL

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think on that new of a truck, it has the "quick connect" fittings and you need the little release tool....

The tool looks like this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=246367_0_0_

Thanks for the link, I'll check the local spots tomorrow for it.

I pulled fresh diesel from a jug today and had no air bubbles. So I did what any red blooded American would do, I pulled the bed off the truck to do further testing. I am going to run air pressure through the system tomorrow after I block the supply lines to see if I can see where it is leaking.

Here is a question. Can a FSV leak without showing a leak. What I mean is can the valve suck air in from the return line side internally withing the valve, and not spill fuel outside the valve.

Here is another question. Can I replace all my fuel lines with hose clamps rather than using those fancy quick connects, or are those fancy quick connects there for a reason.

Thanks yall

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
I pulled the supply line from the FSV and stuck it in a jug of fuel and still got the bubbles,

I pressurized the system and found no leaks.

I pulled off the check valve at the filter head on the return line between the number one injector and the filter head and saw light through it. Could that be the issue?????

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Seeing light through the check valve indicates its bad. I'm not sure if thats the source of ALL of your problems though.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have lots of fuel in the tanks? Do you know about the "shower head" fuel pickup on the sending unit that likes to break off and will suck air if you do not have a lot of fuel in the tank?

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have lots of fuel in the tanks? Do you know about the "shower head" fuel pickup on the sending unit that likes to break off and will suck air if you do not have a lot of fuel in the tank?

Yea, I read some about that, now the tanks are on the empty side of things, but I recall seeing the bubbles in the pump even with the tanks being full. And besides I had the hose off the FSV and submerged in a jug of fuel thereby bypassing the fuel pickups and I still had the bubbles. I think tomorrow I am just going to buy a bunch of fuel line and hose clamps and re-do the whole darn system. Assuming the parts house is open tomorrow. Then when the stealership opens, I get me one of those fancy check valve.

Thanks'

smokin90

Reaction score
'91 is the changeover year for check-valve size. 7.3l's from '88 to '91 had a 3/16" check valve, but late '91 and up had a 1/4" check valve. I'm not 100% sure, but I'd guess that you measure the return hose size that's clamped to it.

Part Numbers:

Early 3/16" check valves: E8TZ9K061A
Later 1/4" check valves: E9TZ9K061A

A little ways down this page on Oregon Fuel Injection, you can order 'em:

http://www.o-f-i.com/index.php?pid=12#FUEL_&_OIL_FILTERS_O.E.

You can get one on here this was posted last month i got mine there ;Sweet

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get one on here this was posted last month i got mine there ;Sweet

Right on, I'll see how much the dealership wants first, if it seems reasonable I'll go with them, but if they have to order it, and it seems spendy, I'll go with OFI, I bought my IP and injectors from them, good company, with good customer service;Sweet

Thanks'

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a spring behind the brass fitting, isn't there supposed to be a ball somewhere to stop the fuel one way? I could not find the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online