air box mod

shands

Reaction score
I own a 99 f250 7.3 with the old style air box(intercooler on the lid)they tell me i have to get the updated one to make an aftermarket one fit. Any ideas on how to get more air to the motor? I already have a MBRP 4" exhaust.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Shands

jvencius

Reaction score
shands said:
I own a 99 f250 7.3 with the old style air box(intercooler on the lid)they tell me i have to get the updated one to make an aftermarket one fit. Any ideas on how to get more air to the motor? I already have a MBRP 4" exhaust.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Shands

http://www.tymarperformance.com

Dale's site isn't up yet, but if you give him buzz at the phone number listed on the site, he'll be able to fix you right up. I went from a completely stock intake, to the stock airbox with an Amsoil foam drop-in filter, to an aFe Stage 1 intake and now I'm using a Tymar intake. So far I LOVE the Tymar setup and wouldn't go to anything else. EGT's have dropped, the intake flows waaaaaaaaaaay more air, the turbo spools just a shade faster, and between the intake and my Wicked Wheel, it sounds like there's a 747 under the hood when I accelerate and that sound is way :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sandman

Superfluous tasks
Reaction score
What JV said... I did the same (with JV's old aFe Stage 1) but did a "poor man's tymar" and the tymar runs the coolist & sounds best..

I have the AFE in him now (have both the 99 fender well and 2000 box tube air intakes for it.. just did a 2500 mile loop and I believe that the "poor man's tymar" will have a kittle better MPG.. bit just a little..

Believer45

Reaction score
I did mine from NAPA with a short 4" exhaust cut down to 6" long, a constant torque clamp and the filter shown. It sits on the inner fender where the old one was. The intake air temp sensor is wire tied to the fender brace just behind the battery, you can see the white zip tie holding it. I get my filters from International, Fleetguard AH1141. It has been there since 8/7/2001 and has been fine.

Attachments

• Air Filter.JPG
    Air Filter.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Sandman

Superfluous tasks
Reaction score
"poor Man's Tymar" on a 2000 7.3..

Attachments

• poor-tymar.jpg
    poor-tymar.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 34

NVCowboy

Reaction score
Ford AIS is a great intake. Its a Ford approved part, so you will not void the factory warranty that you obviously drove yourself out of a long time ago. Not quite as much air as Tymar, but probably the best filtration available. AIS is also quiet if the turbo howl is offensive.

THings to know: The filter minder that comes with the new airbox is a little more thsensitive than the stock one. I just switched it out for my stock filter minder and did the Zoodad mod. Minder never moves now. There is also the filter sleeve mod. The filter sleeve is available at a few of the performance sites that routes air into the filter box from the fender same as your stock set up did. Greatly improves air flow from what I have heard.

www.Powerstrokeshop.com tends to have the best price on them. $203 including shipping. Absolutely no regrets about adding the AIS to my truck.

Not looking to start a Tymar AIS war here, just offer another alternative.

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
shands,

That is true if you want one of the basic Stage I style intake systems, they are good but if you want the best system get the AFE Stage II system in Pro Guard 7! It totally replaces the battery tray, complete air box and even the rubber intake tube. It has a new battery tray and hold down, and giant conical filter with a 6 inch outlet, that connects to the mandrel designed expansion chamber polymer intake tube that connects to the turbo. You will not get more air in the truck with any other style system than this one. Costs more than most but is worth it in EGT reduction and spool up on the turbo. Give us a call if you have any questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI

treefidy

Reaction score
do you guys really think that the tymar is that good. i have the aem intake and the only prob that i find is that the turbo surges, too much air? im not sure ive thought about ripping off the aem filter and putting on a tymar or going back to stock box. "99 psd cc, lb man trans w/ predator programer" the surging is starting to get to me. let me know

jvencius

Reaction score
treefidy said:
do you guys really think that the tymar is that good. i have the aem intake and the only prob that i find is that the turbo surges, too much air? im not sure ive thought about ripping off the aem filter and putting on a tymar or going back to stock box. "99 psd cc, lb man trans w/ predator programer" the surging is starting to get to me. let me know

Yep--I do. While the Tymar does draw underhood air, it flows sooooooooo much better than the Stage 1 aFe kit I had that the greater volume of air going through the filter makes up for the slightly higher intake temps. I had to put a WW on after installing the Tymar since it flowed such volume and I was getting turbo stall. A side benefit is that the Tymar+WW combo sounds UNREAL, kind of like there's a 747 under the hood, at certain rpm/gear ranges when I'm leaning on the go-pedal and I like it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

treefidy

Reaction score
what is the tymar ww? is that a certain filter or different than the regular tymar

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
treefidy said:
what is the tymar ww? is that a certain filter or different than the regular tymar

JV meant the Tymar filter in addition to the Wicked Wheel (WW) set up. The wicked wheel is an upgraded compressor wheel for the turbos on the Super Duty pickups.